zener diode

I have what I believe is a zener diode. One end is red and the other end is blue. What kind of zener diode is this and which end is which?

-- Ignorantly, Allan Adler

  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and
  • comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston.
Reply to
Allan Adler

I don't recognize the color markings you describe but I've been inactive for

*a*long* time ... and at no time did I know everything. ;-)

Use a resistance meter to measure "front/back" resistance ratio. This tells you which end is anode, which is cathode. Be sure you know the actual polarity (is red positive? negative?) of your particular meter. My venerable old Simpson

269 puts positive on the red lead but I have seen meters that put positive on the black lead. Also, take care not to use a resistance scale that could allow a damaging amount of current to go to the diode.

Once you know which end of the diode is cathode, hook it up to a variable DC source, forward biased, and through a series resistor (to limit the current). Put a voltage meter across the diode and, starting at zero (0) volts, slowly increase the voltage on your DC source while watching the voltmeter. When/if you perceive a "knee", that is, the voltage increase across the diode is sharply non-linear with respect to the increase in current through it, then you have exceeded the breakdown, or "zener", voltage. Of course, if your zener happens to be, e.g. an 80v one and your DC power source maxes out at less than 80v then the diode won't "break down" and you won't see a knee; you'll have to use higher voltage.

Reply to
Michael

I don't have any test equipment at the moment, not even a resistance meter. I'll buy one if necessary. Right now I'm trying to do as much as I can using only literature and what I can directly observe. Also, the diode is still installed on a PCB and I don't want to remove it to measure it. Having it connected to the other components on the board would complicate the measurements, but they would probably still be good enough to decide which end is the anode.

This diode is in a mouse. If I get a resistance meter, I'll probably get it from Radio Shack, since I have no other local places to purchase from.

Radio Shack used to carry IC's and other components but the local one says they don't carry them anymore. If I have to purchase online, I wouldn't do it from Radio Shack. At least they still have solderless breadboards.

The blue end connects to pin 1 of the unidentified EICI127400 IC, which I believe is a quadrature encoder. It also connects to the blue wire of the mouse cable, which goes directly to the mouse port. I don't happen to know the pinout of the plug, but the six pins are arranged as follows, the notch being up at the top:

o o o o o o

The red end of the diode connects directly to the green wire of the mouse cable and therefore to another pin of the mouse plug. I don't know yet which pins correspond to which wires, but I figure that the voltages going into two pins of a mouse port can't be too high. My guess is that some batteries in series would suffice as a voltage source. But hopefully no measurements will be necessary.

I did a google search for "color code zener diode" but didn't find anything that related to a red-blue marking. Searching for "zener diode red blue" leads mostly to hits about LEDs.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

you

sharply

higher

But then you still won't know the current capacity of the zener.

And realistically, the hobbyist has very little use for zeners nowadays. Pretty much anytime you need a specific voltage, a three terminal regulator will do the job. At the very least, if you need one you pay the way under a dollar and get one to the exact specs you need.

But then the specs don't really need to be known in this case. How it's used in the circuit will give a good indication of what kind of diode it is. Or, it won't be really relevant to understanding the circuit.

A zener diode, or any type of diode, will not give clues to help define a multi-pin IC, once the detail of the IC becomes relevant the function of the unknown diode becomes relatively clear.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Search the web for home brew zener tester, the usual setup is a small circuit to supply a limited current with a decent voltage overhead, as long as the supplied current is not too high so as to damage the device you can measure the device volt drop each way round - this will give you some clues as to what it is and which way round it goes.

If you have a DMM, have a look whether it has a diode check function, this reads the forward volt drop of a single diode junction, its worth measuring a few sample diodes that you can identify to get the idea - most diodes read somewhere around 0.7V but different types vary slightly, fast soft recovery tend to read slightly lower while zeners often fill the top end of the rang. If it reads just under 0.2V don't be too hasty to bin it - it could be a Germanium or Shottky-barrier diode, both of which have their uses - Germanium are becoming rare and S-B are a little more expensive.

Reply to
ian field

One reason to expect that it should be possible to figure this all out without using any test equipment is that commercially available components need to be documented. So, somewhere there ought to be some literature that describes this diode. I used the monocle to take a closer look at the diode. It is some kind of surface mount device. Earlier, I had thought it was a glass diode with wires at each end. Closer examination shows that the ends are more like disks which hold the diode the way a roll of paper towels is held by its holder. I don't see any letters or other markings on it, just the colors. Maybe there is a different system for identifying surface mount zener diodes, one that includes putting colors on the two halves?

I looked at

and found some information about color coding of surface mount diodes, namely what they call SOD-123 package diodes. The page shows a table with "Cathode Band" in one column and "Devices" in the second column. The colors mentioned are red, yellow, green, purple, blue, white. Following the table is a remark that devices with a color code might also have an alphanumeric code, which might only be a date code. In my case, all I see are the colors.

Now, my diode has two colors and their table gives the impression that the authors are only interested in one color, namely the color of the "cathode band". Taking another look at the diode, I see that, in the half with the blue color, the color is solid and opaque, filling the half very well. In the half with the red color, the color seems less solid and I can probably convince myself that it is more like a band or that it is red with a white band in the middle. Now that I look again at the blue part, it is not all blue. Just before the junction with the red, there is a distinct purple band. Maybe the purple is made of the red and the blue and the whole purpose of the red and the blue is to make this purple band where they come together. In other words, maybe the cathode band is purple, which would uniquely identify this diode as being a BB730, according to this table.

I'm not absolutely sure that there is not a little bit of blue between the thin purple band and the red half, but I think there is no doubt that the purple band is on the blue side of the diode. If these observations hold water, then that seems to settle the question of identifying both the diode and its polarity.

Next I need a data sheet. OK, I'm at

and downloaded the data sheet. It is all black and white. It's hard to tell whether this is really my device.

According to the data sheet, it is a variable capacitance tuner diode (whatever that is). They seem to be assuming that the voltage across it will be 28 V, which doesn't seem credible in the case of a mouse, with both leads of the diode connected to pins of the mouse port.

The data sheet seems to show the band as being close to the end of the diode, whereas the purple I observed is in the middle. But it is pretty definitely on the blue side.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

I decided to take an even closer look at the diode using a pocket microscope with magnification between 30x and 70x. It helped a little. What I had thought, using the monocle, was a purple band is not really there. There are two very thin red bands on the blue part. One is right near the red part. The other is near the other end of the blue part. The portion of the blue between that second red line and the actual end of the tube looks like a slightly lighter shade of blue. By way of contrast, I could see no color but red in the red half of the diode.

Between the red and the blue part of the diode, there was a bit of an empty space which contained what looked like a dark red pencil eraser near the axis of the diode and also what looks like a glass wire joining the red and blue portions. I'm assuming that the "red eraser" is really part of the red stuff.

After all this scrutiny of the diode, now I'm wondering what these red and blue substances are and what the "glass wire" is and how this configuration of these elements cause the device to function as a diode. So, maybe it is time to read a little about fabrication of diodes. Searching for fabrication diodes leads to a lot of stuff about fabricating them on silicon wafers, but not about the manufacture of diodes as discrete components. Searching for manufacture diodes leads to patents, manufacturers and vendors. So, what does one search for?

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

Well, that was fun and will lead to future projects. But meanwhile, I was musing on the fact that the two leads of the second zener diode DZ2 (the red-blue one) each connect to wires that go directly to pins on the mouse port. I don't actually know which wire is connected to which pin, so I can't use that information to determine the polarity of the diode from the pinout of the PS/2 mouse port, but it does potentially tell me the voltage difference between the two ends of DZ2, just not the polarity. Then I started wondering whether the other zener diode DZ1 on the PCB is also connected to mouse port pins in this way and reached for my 7x monocle. That was the right thing to wonder about, since it turns out that the two leads of DZ1 are connected to the very same mouse port pins as the two leads of DZ2. Furthermore, unlike DZ2, the markings on the PCB for DZ1 show very clearly what is the intended polarity of DZ1. Therefore, I now know the polarity of DZ2 in terms of the known polarity of DZ1, and I potentially know the voltage across each diode in terms of the voltage differences between pins of the mouse port.

So, that's progress and, so far, I haven't had to use any test equipment.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

re-evaluate your first belief and expand the component choices.

it may be a 'resettable " fuse to limit over voltgaes.

it may be a capacitor, glass encased ones are used often in euro devices and your descripttion mimics them

evaluate the peripheral circuityry by critical physical examination, make a pencil schematic of what it looks like

and

Boston.

Reply to
HapticZ

Are they ? It's news to me !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've often found ceramic chip caps encapsulated in tiny glass tubes.

Reply to
ian field

80's tech. If you ever go into an Apollo workstation (card-and-backplane technology from the 80s, built up from scads and scads of 74xx series chips) you'll find those little guys absolutely *EVERYWHERE* - there's one or more connected to practically every chip on every board.
--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

I can confidently say I've never seen one other than as a result of a Usenet discussion.

And certainly it's not some European obsession.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

So not 'Euro' at all.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

There is no doubt that it is a zener diode. It is clearly labeled as such on the printed circuit board.

-- Ignorantly, Allan Adler

  • Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and
  • comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston.
Reply to
Allan Adler

How so ?

The red and blue colours provide no help whatever however.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I didn't take any notice of where the boards were made - I just got on with harvesting the parts I wanted - loads of 74F chips.

Reply to
ian field

is it text as a "zener" or a pictograph like a zener symbol?

is it like a Z with a crossbar thru it?

come forth with the info, we are intrigued...

devices and

make a

such

Reply to
HapticZ

HP had a factory/assy plant in UK for a while and i beleive they outsourced more than we are aware of.

devices

Reply to
HapticZ

The component has a label DZ2 next to it.

--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler