Which Wire?

Hello to the group!

I'm interested in doing electronics projects, but a kit I just bought didn't provide all the wires needed. The "expert" at the electronics supplier nearby said I could use 30 gauge, but it turned out to be a lot thinner than the kind I'm used to. (And the kit I used it on didn't end up working. Grrr.) Catalogs aren't much help, either. I just need to know the type of wire used in those kits. Is it 22 gauge? And where do you order yours?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Farrell

Reply to
knowledge_web

Pick up some 22 gauge "hookup wire," p/n 278-1221 solid core and

278-1224 stranded, at your local Radio Shack.

The 30 is (usually) only used for wire-wrapping.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

What kit? Or at least what kind of interconnect?

If you are pushing wires into rows of holes in a plastic breadboard, you probably want solid 23 guage - which doesn't exist. What I mean is

22 guage, especially with thick insulation as radio shack used to carry is too bukly, and 24 guage tends to come unplugged. Still I used it quite a bit on large projects with 8-bit busses, and hot-glued the bundles down when they ran between breadboards of a "nerdkit" prototype-in-a-briefcase class project. One ideal source if is you can find old multi-pair telephone cable to take apart, as this has lots of 24 (or sometimes 22) guage solid wires in many, many different color patterns. I recall wiring my busses in spectral order...

If you mean the kind of kit where you put wires into little springs, you want multistrand wire with tinned ends, probably around 24 guage or a little smaller.

And if you mean the kind of kit where you wrap wires on posts with a tool, you do want 30 guage solid wire, but you use the special stripper that fits in the handle. I don't know if much of that is being made any more, but the wire wrap tool is still good for getting wires onto pins of anything 2mm pitch or larger. (someone please invent a 1mm wire wrap tool!)

Reply to
cs_posting

I have hook up wire in almost every gauge from 6 to 24 in almost every color i have solid or stranded i sell it in 100ft rolls or even 1000ft rolls. I'm selling off my inventory cheap so if you need it let me know snipped-for-privacy@yhaoo.com

Reply to
atleleban

yeah, phone equipment is good like that, these days off cuts of solid core network cable (cat 5 or 6) is another source, it tends to start appearing in construction site dumpsters as the drywall installers are finishing, but the stuff is so cheap it may be easier to just buy some new.

you only get four colours and four whites with coloued stripes, nowhere near as interesting as the three-coloour striped, and banded wires sometims used in exchanges.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts