where to get WWV_ / GPS / other clock sync. device?

I need to get a daily time update via a serial connection to a microcontroller in my device. This is for use in a commercial application, so I need something reliable - but of course cost is a driving factor as well.

Has anybody used something that you think I should take a look at?

Thanks, Scott Kelley

Reply to
Scott Kelley

A garmin integrated antenna/GPS (12V in,rs232 out,NMAE)n

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Depends on your geographical location. In Western Europe there is DCF 77. Excelent for 'once a day' time keeping. Such a service is probably also available in other parts of the world.

If your device (also) has internet access, you could synchronize to a pool of timeservers.

And there is GPS.

Take a look at

Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Reply to
Gerard Bok

If this is for a commercial application, get yourself a proper GPS that comes with a PC interface that can carry the real time. There are dedicated GPS receivers for time standards keeping. I believe Leitch Video, and Torpey Time manufacture these. I have used both types in systems that I have worked on. They work very well with excellent flexibility, compatibility, accuracy, and stability.

JANA
_____

"Scott Kelley"  wrote in message

I need to get a daily time update via a serial connection to a
microcontroller in my device.  This is for use in a commercial application,
so I need something reliable - but of course cost is a driving factor as
well.

Has anybody used something that you think I should take a look at?

Thanks,
Scott Kelley
Reply to
JANA

In message , Scott Kelley writes

Do you have the skills to break into one of the clocks controlled by various 'atomic' clock broadcasts? If so there seem to be several available. I have one (battery operated) sold here in the UK by LIDL at £3.99!! This is controlled from Germany but I imagine there are similar devices for WWV.

--
John
Reply to

Actually, it would be WWVB, on 60 KHz. it is a simple one bit per second modulation scheme where the carrier is reduced by 6 dB. The data is available from NIST.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

--
-17dB.

http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvb.htm
Reply to
John Fields

Scott Kelley wrote: > I need to get a daily time update via a serial connection to a > microcontroller in my device. This is for use in a commercial application, > so I need something reliable - but of course cost is a driving factor as > well. >

Check out these guys

When I checked this out last year they were selling a kit with the module and antenna for $60 -- just begging to be connected to a microcontroller.

GG

Reply to
stratus46