Vibrator motor internals.

A hamfest dealer had some really small cellphone/pager vibrator motors for $.25 each. Curious to see how they were constructed, I disassembled one and cut the casing open. Here's a photo for all who have wondered what's in them.

The armature, (not fully seated on the magnet) is a hollow tube of laminated copper wire. no iron in it.=20 I ran one up to 15V input with the weight still on the shaft, which kep the speed down. It didn't burn out, but after about 30 seconds gradually ramping the voltage up, it was beginning to smell a bit. (The magic smoke didn't escape :-)

-- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

They have been used to power radio controlled model planes for some years. This one uses 6 geared pager motors...

Some flying models have been made that weigh less than one ounce.

Check out the "Indoor and micro models" forum here...

CWatters

Lots of pictures of pager motor powered models..

CWatters