Uher deck repairs

A friend of mine has recently acquired a brand new Uher professional tape deck. I have not had a chance to look at it, but according to him it has the following problem:

(snip) I tried various cassettes from my library and they all seem about 20% faster. So, I tried to record a A440 oscillator tone and used an electronic tuner to watch what it was doing. It played back but the speed slightly was changing throughout. I didn't measure voltage, just pitch.

Now, there is a yellow LED that says 'variable' which I'm assuming has something to do with either servo or motor speed. When rewinding, the lamp stays lit - but upon record or PB it was flickering at different rates. As I have no manual, I'm not certain what the LED is for and the U.S. Uher fixer wouldn't even answer my question. (His reply: "Send it in, we'll fix it".) Wouldn't even tell me *what* the yellow LED indicates!!!! (Asshole!)

My suspicion is this was a European model and it's getting it's motor speed from line voltage. Of course, the 50 HZ / 60 HZ make sense right? If it's a import, regardless of the voltage - which I know is correct - would the motor need to be changed if the unit was originally intended to be run at 50 hz? That's my question. Just give me your thoughts, a guess or a stab in the dark. If you search Uher repairs - everything is in Kraut. The guy at SMC / Nixontapes he calls himself - is the only guy I could find.(snip)

Anyone have any ideas? And if it is truly a unit that requires 50hz, is there a power supply conversion that can be done. I remember back in the 80s there were a ton of kits that would allow 12volt clock kits to be used in cars, by supplying a

60 hz source into the dc supply.
--
Kim..."A Man Of True Frankenstinean Proportions"
Reply to

What I know about Uher will fit into a thimble. Having said that, ISTR (from reading, years ago) that Uhers were rugged, versatile, machines, made to be hauled all over the world and able to operate on either mains or batteries. I would expect, therefore, that mains freq. should not present a problem. But maybe Uher has changed since the 70's. And maybe your friend's deck isn't portable.

Reply to
Michael

These machines should not be mains dependent. There should be a proper servo amplifier to drive the motors.

As for this manufacture, the service is exclusive to themselves, and their authorized service reps. Their rates are reasonable, when considering the value of the machine.

--

Jerry G. ======

[...]

Jerry G.