UPS Repairs

Could anyone recommend a person to repair a SOLA 3000VA UPS, It is in for a quote yet the price for board replacement is quite extreme. The main board has most of the power switching and a daughter board with most of the logic. (there still is a lot of logic on the power board though)

A repair shop that could do some component repairs with a service manual being available would be a very good option.

The dealer doesn't seem to do component repairs just board replacement. I am in Melbourne north Easterly suburbs.

cheers Peter.

Reply to
Peter

I think Sola are in Dandenong, you should give them a call and you might have some joy. Garth

Reply to
Gaz

I don't think Sola do component repair as that is where I got the $2k quote from, and it hasn't been hit by lightening or similar. They replace the boards and probably exchange them from the US.

cheers Peter.

Gaz wrote:

Reply to
Peter

From what I understand it could be interrogated with software, yet I can easily buy a new one for less than the repair cost The quote just lists a replacement board and new 7 ah 12v batteries at $52 each.

Years ago I had the equipment and with a circuit diagram could repair it myself.

I might replace it with an Oz brand Ups> "Peter" wrote

Reply to
Peter

"Peter" wrote

I don't think Sola do component repair as that is where I got the $2k quote from, and it hasn't been hit by lightening

****What? It didn't lose a lot of weight suddenly?

Brian G

Reply to
Brian g

None of the manufactures no longer do component level repairs or support component level repairs. They do a board swap and re-calibrate the board to match. The manufactures will not supply any schematics, or any of their proprietary parts anyways. In fact, most manufactures only supply board swapping information and procedures to their contracted service reps.

When repairing a component level fault and changing a specific component, you still have many other aged components on the circuit board. This is counted as an additional unreliability. Most modern circuit boards have very high density SMD technology using multilayered conductors, which adds to the complexity of servicing. Also, there is a high cost in the tools, instrumentation, and training, to have skilled technicians working on component level repairs. These circuit boards are not simple to work on, or most anyone would be able to service them by themselves.

We support many types of systems in our service departments. With most equipment, it is board swap and adjustment only.

--

JANA
_____