twist sensitive resistor?

I have science project that involves measuring a small torque, or twisting force.

Is there a torque sensitive resistor I can buy? Or perhaps a torque sensitive capacitor? I can integrate it into an existing circuit if I can find one.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave

Wind a string around the object and connect the end to a strain gauge.

Reply to
CWatters

Yup, sure thing!! It's called a strain gage. Omega, among others, make them. Get some info about them at

==============

Dave M

Dave M

Use a Analog Meter Movement, and monitor the current required to re-center the needle. I have seen this setup used to measure sub milligram quantities

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

Jameco sells a resistive flex device that has a range of around 10K-40K. It's a long link, but here it is!

scada

"Yukio YANO" wrote

needle. I have seen this setup used to measure

When I was doing postgrad physics, I used a "microbalance" that used a very similar principle. It routinely measured _microgram_ changes in mass of a gas-adsorbing sample as it was exposed to varying pressures of the gas to be adsorbed.

It is a very good method for measure miniscule mass (well, weight) changes.

May not be what the O.P. is looking for though, but I thought I'd post to recommend this method for ultra-sensitive weight-change measurements.

Martin

--
M.A.Poyser                                                  Tel.: 07967 110890
Manchester, U.K.          http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=fleetie