Measuring science fair motor current ?

I helped a friend's 10 year old son build a science fair motor: a coil of wire (20t around a pill bottle former) supported above a magnet by paper clips with the tops bent into a U. The coil has #14 copper soldered to each end, looks like this:

** ___* *___ * * **

The construction is such that the #14 is rigidly attached to the coil, so it acts as the axle as well as the conductor. A D cell makes the thing spin nicely. (Usually you have to start it spinning by hand.)

The lad asked "how long will the battery last?" The problem is that, as it spins, it arcs & the current is interrupted often and with no repetitive pattern. In addition, the arcing burns the paper clip & wire which eventually stops the motor and (I assume) lowers the current draw over time as the motor runs.

He could just run the thing until the battery is "dead", where dead is some chosen terminal voltage, and note the elapsed time. That is the "science fair" answer we went with for the "how long" question. But, from a practical viewpoint, how would he measure the current? My knee jerk reaction is a series resistance to develop a voltage & charge a cap with a DMM measuring the voltage. Then, assuming worst case, he could predict a minimum run time. Is that approach valid? (I realize that with intermittent contacts and resistance changing, the battery won't discharge as quickly as worst case predicts.) Bear in mind that he is a 10 year old who needed help with this "electrical project", so he's not a computer wiz kid who can whip up an interface and take a whole bunch of samples over time, record them with a PC & spit out a prediction. :-)

A "side note" - the paper clips have been replaced by a couple of small angle irons screwed to a piece of wood. Paper clips scotch taped to the lid of a plastic container can't take the "handling" of a 10 year old boy. :-)

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

An old-style analog current meter would do nicely.

A new-style DVM would work if it averaged the current enough -- some will, some won't, I have no clue which is which.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Add a capacitor to kill the arcing...

Reply to
MC

TW > An old-style analog current meter would do nicely. TW > A new-style DVM would work if it averaged TW > the current enough -- some will, some won't, TW > I have no clue which is which.

Good point about current averaging.

MC > Add a capacitor to kill the arcing...

That would have taken away half of the joy when I did some other teaching motors like that.

Got a link to a photo or drawing of this motor design you tried to describe?

Is it like this?

or this?

When I did hand made training motors one problem to try to avoid was when the spring brushes bridged the gap between commutator segments on both sides. Since there were only two segments this would cause a dead short spark, seriously impairing battery life and work output/speed.

In this animated GIF image notice the spring brushes are dimpled to cut down on this shorting.

To me a dead short spark is not the same as arcing. Is it technically actually arcing and would a capacitor actually help in that case?

Greegor

Yes. The construction is a little different, but those two pictures show the identical type of motor.

Wish I had those pictures earlier when we were making the thing. You gave some nice references! Thanks. :-)

Both. The contact between the support and the copper conductor/axle is interrupted (not by design) as the thing spins, so you get an L di/dt arc on break. And you get a short circuit arc on make.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
ehsjr