Speaker Source

What is a good source for speakers? I have a 50mm 16 ohm 1.5W speaker I need to replace. Didn't see anything at Radio Shack or Newark or Allied or DigiKey or Mouser.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

My friend that builds custom stereo speakers swears by:

But most of these are large speakers. There are a few smaller ones.

Reply to
Gary Peek

Thanks for the tip. I don't see anything small enough though.

By the way, the speaker is from an AT&T speaker phone. For some reason, it opened. No conductivity through the coil.

Must have happened the last time my mother-in-law called. Just joking. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The terminals and terminal connections are okay. My guess is the problem is where the terminal wires connect to the magnet wire at the cone surface. I may try some micro-surgery there.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I don't think 2" speakers count as 'good'.

Anywhere basically.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Like where? Can you name a couple places please.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have a collection of speakers like that one out of discarded PCs. Maybe you could get one in a similar way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Looked at RS Components and Futurlec and found none. 16 ohms is not a common impedance. You'd have a little more choice if you settled for 32 ohms. And a lot more choice if you could make 8 ohms work.

--
André Majorel
"No meetings were held, nor secret handshakes created, to allow a Seria-

Tried googling ? I don't live in the USA you see.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

these guys have some

Jasen Betts

Yes, 16 ohms is hard to find. I think I'll have to settle for an 8 ohm model that DigiKey has. I'll stick an 8 ohm resistor in series with it and hope for the best. There may be enough power available to overcome the losses in the resistor.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes. That's the first thing I did. 16 ohms is tough to find.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Well, if ultimate efficiency isn't vital use an 8 ohm unit with an 8R2 series R.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

50mm ? I've seen Headphones using 2" speakers !!

Yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO

here's a weird option; a couple of years ago i got a pair of "flat panel speakers" for like 99 cents at one of the job lot type stores; which were of course just a pair of those little transistor radio speakers like you describe in a pair of cheap flat plastic housings and a cable. for 99 cents, can't be beat.

You think like me. That's close to what I'm doing right now until I get a built in replacement.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yea, pretty small. The magnet is almost as big as the speaker.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

ker

the bizarre part is that although they were, of course, fairly crummy, if you sort of strapped them to your head with a large rubber band, they made dynamite headphones with really excellent bass. don't do this in public, though.