Signal to noise ratio

This group lately seems to have a typical electronics problem- a very low signal/noise. In fact, it seems considerably lower than 1:1 lately. I wish I was as good writing spam filters as at linear circuit filters :-(

Reply to
Don Stauffer

But if you're expecting much here, you are expecting too much.

About 1996, long enough ago that I can't remember if it was that year or the year before or even 1994, there was sci.electronics, a relatively high traffic newsgroup that covered all aspects of electronics. Then it wsa divided up into the multiple newsgroups we see in the sci.electronics.* hierarchy (well, sci.electronics.repair had previously existed). This newsgroup was created for whatever was leftover that didn't fit into the other newsgroups. By definition, there shouldn't be much here.

It seems that most of the time, people posting here may do so because they stumble on it, rather than because they have a "misc" question. That's why traffic is low.

It's the wrong newsgroup to use as a standard of traffic, since it's never received much traffic from the begining, and by definition shouldn't receive much traffic.

For full details, read Mark Zenier's guide to the sci.electronics.* hierarchy at ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/m/mzenier/seguide9706.txt

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

sci.electronics.misc is the natural successor to sci.electronics siince Zenier ruined it all by splitting up the groups.

Post here, and don't bother with the others, and then we may just get back to a decent group.

Reply to
Computer Man