signal to noise ratio measurement

I was just wondering if there is an easy way to automatically measure a signal to noise ratio. I'm looking for a means that doesn't require human intervention.

Thanks.

Reply to
bob

S+N/N measurements can be automated, more or less. What kinds of signals, noise, and channels are you thinking about? What accuracy and frequency?

Chuck

chuck
** Groper in the Dark Alert !

** The s/n ratio of an actual signal ( as opposed to an equipment spec) is usually continually varying !!!!!

A good spectrum analyser will take a snapshot of the signal +noise at any point in time and then the display can be interpreted ( in most cases ) to give the approximate s/n ratio at that moment.

All depends on the exact nature of the wanted signal and the characteristics of the noise.

Reply to
Phil Allison