science teacher needs help

No, that is the USA (minority) spelling. The correct (majority) spelling is aluminium.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Conversely, just because the yanks are so lazy they leave out one i does not mean their way is correct either and you pronounce it wromg too.

And who spells tyre as tire?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

:::I have the target released by energizing a solenoid ::: semidemiurge

The fuse is an easily-torn piece of aluminum foil.

| | __ | | ____________|__| | | v | ) solenoid | `-o------ (|__|_ ( fuse ^-- |__| | ) __ | |_________|__| ===== | ) relay (|__|_ |__| | | =====

Reply to
JeffM

...and David shakes his head at people that do not plan ahead, leave things until the last minute, then are critical of those that try to help

David - shak> This is a demonstration for a 5th grade science class.

Reply to
quietguy

"It wasn?t until 1808 that Britain?s Sir Humphrey Davy established the existence of aluminium and named it, without succeeding in actually producing any. What followed was a long and painstaking process to unlock the secrets of the metal, which never occurs in its pure form in nature, but exists only in combination with other materials ? silicates and oxides.

In 1825, H.C. Oersted produced the first small lump of aluminium in Denmark. Twenty years later, Friedrich Wohler in Berlin was still only able to produce aluminium "as big as pin heads". Finally, in 1854, a French chemist named Henri Sainte-Claire Deville created the first commercial process and, with the assistance of Emperor Napoleon III, opened the world's first aluminium factory in 1859 at Glaciere near Paris. The aluminium produced by this method was more expensive than gold or platinum. "

Lets see now. Named by a British discoverer. Isolasted by a Dane. Looks like the european spelling aluminIum wins.

You can blame Noah Webster and his 1828 _American Dictionary of the English Language_ for this and many other americanisms.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

--- And 'speking' is supposed to be spelled 'speaking' in _all_ English-speaking countries.

But how about 'spelt'? Here in the Republic of America we spell 'spelt' 'spelled' since we generally replete the last constonant of a verb's actionism and apprehend it with 'ed' to cast it into the passed tents.

So how do you guys spell 'smelled'? Smelt?

And if you smelled some bad Smelt would you say that the Smelt smelt?

Over here we'd say that the Smelt stunk, (or 'stank', depending on your racial orientification) since if the Smelt smelled that would imply that the Smelt's olfactory organs were functioning.

Fishy, perhaps, but can you come up with something less amusing?

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Who cares? Give it up already.

You and the Aussies, Kiwis's, Brits et al. . . u s mudbunny USA'rs.

Hey, I like the way they pronounce words, Who cares?

Aluminium

If you get the idea - there's no need for "proper" (amerkinized) englush pronounciashun. They communicate quite well, and that's all one (you/we) need.

default

ahh, continued presumption and arrogance

Reply to
semidemiurge

You're an ignorant twit. Learn to post correctly.

Reply to
Don Bowey

--
Yup. Definitely less humorous. You win.
Reply to

Why are you resorting to insults? How am I posting incorrectly?

Reply to
semidemiurge

You just did it again.

Look at a few posts by other people and note how they obviously differ from your posts.

Reply to
Don Bowey

As Don ponted out, most folks lurk a while on Usenet before posting and OBSERVE how others post, then follow suite.

't-click-the-reply-link-that-is-in-plain-sight+To-get-context-the-easy-way+on-Google+zzz+show-options*-*-*-snip-*-*-*-*-the-automated-blockquote-*-*-*+click-THAT-Reply-link

Reply to
JeffM

You seem to not recognise wisdom and commonsense

David - who has to st> ahh, continued presumption and arrogance

Reply to
quietguy

and just to lighten things up, in case some of you haven't seen this...

Mai Spell Checker

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it I am shore your pleased two no Its letter perfect awl the weigh My chequer tolled me sew.

I didn't write it, but wish I had

David - who doesn't know who the author is so cannot give credit where it's due

Reply to
quietguy

Written by Janet Minor

Reply to
JeffM

who are you asking?

I don't know how you do it. especially with so many good examples. :)

but seriously, a little quoting of the post you are responding to is considered a good thing.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts