RFID chips

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips? Can their receiver coils be overloaded? Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things, and start to interfere with our privacy .

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF) but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF) which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be succeptable to sufficient power.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Until I saw who it was from I wondered if you were planning on theiving goods from stores ! ;~)

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I've never really looked at one but might a huge ESD blast do the job too ?

Physically hitting with a hammer might be effective as well.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun in close proximity works - Havent tried it tho, the ones origially hidden in our wheelie bins seem to be missing ;)

Ron

Reply to
Ron Johnson

Not likely. If the EMP were strong enough to destroy electronics, it would probably burn the skin.

I detect a note of -- arguably justifiable -- paranoia in the original post.

Instead of worrying about RFIDs in general, one should pay attention to where they are actually used, and tale appropriate steps to protect oneself. For example, RFIDs in debit cards can be read at some distance, so you might decide not to have one at all, or to wrap the card in a fold of aluminum foil when you're not using it.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Aluminium wallets !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

You mean they interfere with your shoplifting? I suppose you want this device to be portable and easy to carry hidden, right?

Reply to
PeterD

In wheelybins it's justifiable to want rid of them. They cause the council to charge you fo your rubbish!

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

God forbid a shop could find out where I live....

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Why is Michael Jackson's album entitled "Bad?"
Because he couldn't spell "Pathetic."
Reply to
Peter Hucker

How do you find them, or was it obvious ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

In a circular recess under the rim at the front, it`s a circular disk of plastic about as big as a two penny piece.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Johnson

Google as ever has the answer.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron Johnson

Ah it`s like the last example at

That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron Johnson

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul values, slowing down the collections !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Given that they have receiver coils, I dare say they could be overloaded.

This site gives a manufacturer and operating frequency.

The tag you have found is a 125KHz read only LF tag manufactured by a Swiss company called Sokymat and uses a chip made by EmMarin, part number EM4102. This has a 40 bit unique number laser written to the chip at manufacture. The read range is only a few CM, so you won?t oick anything up from it using ham gear.

It must get power somehow though and I bet you could overvolt that !

Also

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

*) The AC Voltage on Coil is limited by the on chip voltage limitation circuitry. This is according to the parameter Icoil in the absolute maximum ratings.

Absolute Maximum Ratings Maximum DC Current forced on COIL1 & COIL2 ICOIL ±30mA Power Supply VDD -0.3 to 7.5V

AC Voltage on Coil Min 3 Typ 14. Vpk-pk

L: typical 20.8mH for fo = 125kHz

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Surely the system could just enter no result if it can't read it?

--
http://www.petersparrots.com    http://www.insanevideoclips.com
http://www.petersphotos.com

Earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can.
Reply to
Peter Hucker

Apparently no-one was clever enough to think of that. Maybe the idea was for the binmen to estimate the weight ? They don't have the time so they enter zero instead.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore