Turning an E Core Power Transformer into a Tattoo Gun

I think I can convert an E core AC power transformer into a tattoo gun.

If I sliced off the top of the E core, that would make two gaps. It's now an electromagnet if I apply DC.

I'm going to also drill a hole down the center of the core. This hole would be for the needle.

A spring is used to pull the needle up. Magnetic force pulls a metal plate and the needle down.

I plan on driving the electromagnet with a power oscillator.

Questions

Will this work?

How big of a transformer should I hack up?.. I have a pile of all sorts in the junk box..I'm guessing 20watts.

I don't mind taking the transformer to it's max temperature...whatever that might be..

Any other design ideas?

For reference

Actually I'm not tattooing.. It's to perforate 4mil vinyl. I can't afford a laser. :(

As I was writing this I came up with a better idea..

I think a needle stuck in a steel rod stuck in a solenoid might be much easier to construct..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

The '20 watts' means the core can take roughly an amount of magnetic energy equal to

Estored = 20 W/(120 per second) = 0.16 W-second = 0.16 Joules

That is (again, roughly) the amount of force x distance (work) that is available to drive your point into the vinyl. This is slightly complicated by the spring (it has to compress the spring at the same time, and the spring has to be stiff enough to pull the point out).

I'd think in terms of a hot knife to score the vinyl, if it was me. Noise is just as annoying as hot-plastic-odor.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've been thinking about the hot knife technique for cutting 4mil vinyl. I could heat up a power resistor and use the hot lead. The lead is then dragged on the vinyl to cut it.

But...I think vinyl makes an acidic goo that'll eat through the wire..but not sure. Also...the heat emission I think makes a fat cut.

I've been looking at ultrasonic cutting methods too.. For example:

I can probably make an ugly but functioning generator in 1 day. I just don't know about getting the transducer. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Good grief, just stick the sheet in an old 24 pin dot matrix printer with no ribbon.

4mil thick vinyl is the same thickness as a sheet of paper. Worst case you'll have to disassemble the print head and sharpen the pins... But you like that kind of stuff right? :)
Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Yeah...I had a similar thought.. The problem is that the 4mil vinyl needs to be cut after it's mounted on a sheet of plastic.. That won't feed through a printer.

I'm trying to think of scrap equipment that has powerful solenoids with >4mil movement and capable of 10Hz.

I have a car scrap yard nearby...so maybe: fuel injector? door solenoid?

Also..I got adventurous enough to email a factory ...in China! I'm curious about a 60W solid state IR laser... Arrrfff! Arrrfff! :) All those people selling laser diodes on Ebay probably got all this stuff from china anyways... D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Flatbed plotter.

Reply to