req advice: problem with philips TV

Philips TV 26PF5512D I know this is a long shot but maybe someone out there is familiar with this tv and knows why it freezes up. Here are some pics to go by:

The problem occurrs when using the digital freeview channels - the TV sometimes freezes up and won't respond to the remote control. It happens often when I'm going through the program list for digital freeview.(second picture down at the above link). Sometimes as I go up and down the program list the TV will suddenly freeze up, nothing works on the remote control except the off button and I have to switch the TV off. It takes about a minute for the tv to come back on properly. If I wait a whole minute things are usually ok again, but if I try to rush it and switch on before then it's still problematic and won't display an image - I get a black screen, sometimes with audio, sometimes not. I can't reproduce this problem at will, it's random. Sometimes the TV is ok and other times it will freeze up. Does anyone know where the problem might lie and which component I should replace to cure this?

Reply to
tg

this

things

it's

will,

Does

replace

Bypass the internal freeview and feed in from an external set-top box? if you can live with that

Reply to
N_Cook

--
http://www.support.philips.com/support/sms_page.jsp?userLanguage=en&userCountry=us
Reply to

Without claiming any sort of expertise on this, I'd have to suspect that the big GENESIS display chip is freezing, which in turn could be due to noise on the power supply line. Failing decoupling capacitors?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

yes I can live with that no problem but I have elderly mother who can't.

Reply to
tg