DC relay coil

I have a DC relay with the coil connections marked "+" & "-". Does it matter? The relay operates with either polarity so there is no internal flyback diode. It's a 24v, 33ma coil for those who want to know.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

If the designers marked it, probably would be good to follow that.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Yeah ... I guess what I was really wondering was why they would do that.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

they should do that if a built-in diode is present. Also, the plus and minus identify the coil pins.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

They may use that package to make units with the diode.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

I Googled it (like I should have in the first place). There are a couple of reasons that a DC relay may be polarized:

- internal flyback diode (as mentioned)

- an internal LED indicator

- a permanent magnet used to augment the mag field

- in a latching relay

My relay does have a LED indicator, so that's what I'm assuming is the reason for my polarization. And not a permanent magnet.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt