PiezoElectric Spark Ignitor

For diodes, you might try BY8418 which in the UK is part 663-815 from Farnell, and costs less than a can of Coke, rated at 18kV. While you're at it they sell 15kV capacitors but these cost more, or you could make your own capacitors from foil and plastic sheets if you prefer.

From what I remember the lighters have a little spring loaded hammer which must produce pretty large forces on the piezo material.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

1k.

you

find

voltage

I think you have a bit of a problem with nomenclature here. Ten

100,000K resistors is a gigaohnm. But thank you for the ideas.

his

wrote

piezoelectric

run

maybe

Think

couple

be

divider,

for

if a

of

may

natural

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I don't know if your calculator is busted or what. Last time I looked,

10 X 100,000 is 1,000,000. That is 1 million -or- 1 megohm... not 1 Gigohm. 1 Gigohm is 1000 Megohms -or- 1000 X 100,000. 1 Gigohm is 1 billion ohms.

When you multiply "10s", all you have to do is add up the zeros from each factor and you have your "powers of 10".

:)

Reply to
buck rojerz

He who jumps last, jumps best. You missed the "K" on the end of

100,000K

the

gathered

will

looked,

each

You had best be going back up above and rereading what's there. It's _not_ 100,000. It says 100,000k ^ Big difference! And it's not a typo, 'cause it says that value _twice_!!

And as for your statement above - I quote "> 1 Gigohm is 1000 Megohms -or- 1000 X 100,000." You had better review that one, too!

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
buck rojerz

"Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the Dark Remover\"" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Yes, I sure screwed up for certain. Kause I missed it big time.

But... 1000 Megohms is 1 Gigohm, though... is it not? Doesn't Giga=billion?

Did I goof there too? :\

buck

Reply to
buck rojerz

Don't sweat it! We all do it. I always argue I'm so learned(*) BECAUSE I've made so many stupid mistakes.

(*) Some will certainly argue that point ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 09:13:54 -0000, buck rojerz Gave us:

ALL steps are in multiples of 1000

Just like capacitors are in steps of 1000

1.0 = 1 1.0k = 1,000 1.0M = 1,000,000 1.0G = 1,000,000,000

Since I see you do catch the "a" occasionally why do you leave it out at times? It is Megaohm, not Megohm. It is Gigabyte and Gigaohm, not Gigohm. "Meg" and "Gig" are not valid prefixes. Perhaps... only in conversation.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 08:28:14 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

In this group, most of them have been in the area of social graces.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

NunYa Bidness wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the

I guess I really goofed now... here I thought this was an electronics group and now I find out it is really an English grammer and spelling group.

My bad. :(

P.S. Why do I leave the "a" out at times?? Because this is recreational typing and it really doesn't matter all that much, in here.

Everyone knows what I meant. Even you.

Perhaps you have a need to feel superior. Well, it looks as though you are.

Thanks for noticing, though.

Reply to
buck rojerz

I read in alt.binaries.schematics.electronic that buck rojerz wrote (in ) about 'PiezoElectric Spark Ignitor', on Tue, 13 Sep 2005:

I believe the 'a' SHOULD be left out, for euphony. I see no reason, except pedantry, to slavishly preserve the whole prefix when it results in the vowel combination 'ao'.

John Woodgate

John Woodgate wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@jmwa.demon.co.uk:

Sounds good to me. :)

(no pun intendid)

buck

Reply to
buck rojerz

I agree about the spoken form, but disagree about the written form.

--
St. John the pedant
Reply to

We will have to ask IEC TC25 for an official ruling. Expect the answer later this century. Much later.

Kibis, anyone?

John Woodgate

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:10:01 GMT, "St. John Smythe" Gave us:

Exactly. Which I believe I mentioned.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

Ok, guys I mistyped twice, that 100,000k is wrong it should be 100,000 or 100k. Someone could have wrote about the idea, in support or against rather than blathering about the error!

Reply to
amdxjunk

"amdxjunk" wrote in news:26d44$432a1217$18d6b479$ snipped-for-privacy@KNOLOGY.NET:

(Because I'm not as accurate as you are... anymore. Just wait...Nunya... you will understand someday.)

I believe this IS just conversation. Certainly nothing like formal writing, where I would admittedly... "fail miserably".

Well put, Mike. Thanks

The "k" adds 3 more zeros. "k" standing for thousand.

100,000k = 100,000,000

So 10 x 100,000k ohms = 1,000,000,000 ohms = 1000 megAohms = 1 GigAohm

buck

I HOPE that's right. I'm a little gun shy, at this point. :\

Reply to
buck rojerz

)

recreational

results

I believe the authoritative source for this info in the U.S. is NIST, which is in agreement with the rest of the world. Go here, and after brushing up on the prefixes (and while there, brush up on the prefixes for binary multiples, last paragraph), go to Rules and Style Conventions.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

on

reason,

results