PCB trace temperature?

Hi all,

I've seen and used the trace temperature vs. current calculators and seen lots of information on calculating trace temps. However, I can't find any information about just how hot you can let a trace get. I know that copper melts at about 1100 deg. C, I'm pretty sure that the board will be damaged before that,... So, how hot can a trace get and still be OK on a board? Where does board damage occur and how hot are we "allowed" to get a trace?

regards, DLC

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
* "Programming and Customizing the OOPic Microcontroller" Mcgraw-Hill 2003 *
Dennis Clark

This page suggests 10 degrees...

Quote: "The power-handling capacity of a PCB trace depends on its cross-sectional area and allowable temperature increase (typically 10 degrees)."

.
Reply to
CWatters

That would depend almost entirely on how sensitive the board material is to heat - A phenolic board might be able to cope with (just pulling numbers out of thin air for the sake of discussion - don't even *THINK* of considering them to be accurate) 400C, while a fiberglass board might survive to 700C, and some other material might be able to withstand the copper actually melting off it without showing any ill effects at all. (beyond ceasing to function due to all the traces being gone, that is...)

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See  for full details.

Don Bruder schrieb:

s=20

=20

t=20

=20

=2E)

Hello,

wrong numbers, about 150 =B0C maximal for FR2 and FR4, better qualities u= p=20 to 180 =B0C. Teflon boards are maximal 250 =B0C. The higher soldering temeperatures are tolerated only for a short time.

The datasheet of the material used should be carefully read for=20 applicable temperatures.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen