Trace buffer

I am looking to understand the various usages of trace buffer.

I know the usage of loop buffer - where jump target of the loop is stored. Whenever a loop jump is encountered, the address of the loop buffer is referred and prefetched.

My basic information about trace buffer says loop buffer can be implemented inside a trace buffer. In other words, trace buffer is a more generalised term.

Plz help.

Regards, Ripunjay Tripathi

Reply to
Ripunjay Tripathi

It is usually used for debugging.

A trace buffer, in general, would keep track of some information from execution. The details of what is captured depends on the particular facility. Consult the documentation for the system that you are considering using.

A simulator can store lots of information in a trace buffer, such as addressed register or memory contents before and after command execution.

--
Thad
Reply to