PCB layout package for Family Tree !

Anyone want to discuss the feasibility of using a PCB layout package to produce Family Trees? I have good reasons for suggesting this...

The problem with most family tree programs is the charting - the actual printing of the tree. They are hopless at producing a tree containing everyone in the data base because of the complexity. They mess up at the "placement" stage and as a result the "routing" is a mess. You get family members scattered accross the page and it's hard to follow.

To make matters worse many programs don't allow you to move people (=packages) around on the page or if they do you can't easily add people to the database later without having to start over (rip up everything) and redraw the whole tree all over again.

These problems have been solved for PCB layout hence my suggestion. I guess it needs a programmer familiar with PCB layou to go and work for a company that writes family tree programs.

...and as a final thought... You could even have your family tree fabricated in copper.

Reply to
CWatters

Have you considered

?

Reply to
Rob Fell

Why not use a _schematic_capture_ program that can do hierarchical blocks to create the tree?

Then do a hierarchical PDF for distribution to family.

...Jim Thompson