OT: Red States to Secede

What really needs to be repaired is the mindset that there's any justification whatsoever for institutionalized theft.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, are you bowing down before his altar, and giving burnt offerings?

Feh.

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

That doesn't make it a lie... Note that the info sources had been damaged by the Demoncrats (e.g. the CIA/Church Commission or Clinton in 1995/1996.) That doesn't guarantee that Bush was telling the truth, but you have still not given ANY ANY proof that Bush had lied. You keep on making up supposition, and that isn't sufficient to condemn somone to be a liar. In essense, you show your own dishonesty.

John

Reply to
John S. Dyson

Perhaps I confused you by snipping too much of the attributions, but I did not say he was a liar (although I personally believe he is). What I said here, as you quoted me, is that he said things that were not true. Forget your attempts at passing the buck to previous administrations for a minute, and answer me this: was Bush telling the factual truth when he said that Iraq had large quantities of WMD?

Given that there is exactly zero evidence of such weapons now or when the claim was made, the obvious answer is no, it was not the truth. As you say, this does not make it a lie - it is only a lie if Bush knew it was not the truth. So tell me, why do you think Bush said it, and then based a war on this claim? Do you think he knew? Do you think his advisors knew and lied to him? Or do you think this is all a conspiracy by previous democrate administrations to build a web of false information to embarass future republicans?

Reply to
David

The total level of taxation is a different issue, and essentially there is no joy to be found there under any plausible scenario in the foreseeable future.

US Federal government spending, in all major categories, *will* most likely continue to increase at least as fast as the economy, barring only a financial meltdown, which would hurt a lot more.

The total portion of the GDP controlled by all levels of governments in OECD countries varies from about 1/3 (the US is at 36%) to close to

60%. The Eurozone averages out at about 49% (universal health care is included in most OECD countries, of course, which has to be taken into account in comparing value for taxes). BTW, the G7 country with the biggest decrease in ALL levels of government spending over 1992-2004 is Canada (by 25% as a % of GDP). Australia managed about 10%, and the US about 7.5% (-11% to 2000, then increasing again). Euro zone -6%, UK

-1%, Japan +13%.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

4ax.com>) about 'OT: Red States to Secede', on Thu, 20 Jan 2005:

way as

ineffective; he's

would

As if anyone really cares what he says! He can barely even talk, (or stand,) and it's not understandable when he tries!

This pope is "conservative" if it means he is listened to and followed. Otherwise he is an arrogant elitist!

Reply to
Clarence_A

And what would be "very conservative dogma that I thought you would support"?

You misread me completely. In personal matters I'm basically a libertarian... live and let live. Just don't do anything to me and I won't do anything to you, or tell you how to live.

But, attack me or my country, and your ass is grass ;-)

...Jim Thompson

,snip]

[snip]

"Scrupples", is that like hemorrhoids ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

I concur. They're too uptight. You might try getting her drunk. ;)

Reply to
Bob Stephens

Sno-o-o-o-ort!

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" (Ogden Nash)

...Jim Thompson

No, I have some good friends that are lawyers. I think we should just encourage them to find new careers.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

We always appreciate your original insights.

John

I read in sci.electronics.design that Chuck Harris wrote (in ) about 'OT: Red States to Secede', on Fri, 21 Jan 2005:

... commensurate with their abilities. But there is only a limited demand for telephone sanitizers. (;-)

John Woodgate

So, you're happy with half the world's population living under the rule of thugs and leading short, miserable lives?

Yup, you probably are. After all, you've got yours.

John

But is a libertarian willing to help people who are far less well off? Libertarianism is, after all, a hobby of the lucky and the wealthy.

The Est movement was the essence of libertarianism. It said, essentially, "sure, for a tiny bit of consideration on my part, I could greatly reduce your unhappiness. But screw you, it's your problem."

John

Being a libertarian is a subscribing to a certain political philosophy.

Being charitable is caring for the well being others. They are not mutually exclusive of each other.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris
[snip]

"Libertarianism is, after all, a hobby of the lucky and the wealthy."

Huh?

I'm perfectly OK with welfare, for the truly needy, but not for bums.

I remember "Est". I went to a couple of meetings, IIRC, around 1980. What a bunch of idiots. Almost as bad as Mensa ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Did you hear about the guys in New York who were arrested for making jokes about lawyers?

Reply to
Richard Henry

John, if it weren't for your insightful analysis, I'd have almost no motivation to make up stupid crap! Or quote Shakespeare! ;-P

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Newsgropup Wacko

No, what happened to them?