OT: Copy PATH from Windows Explorer ??

What were you programming back then? I started on a PDP8 running TSS8.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris

2.1

user to

and

system

your

were

nice way

concept,

Honeywell (our mainframe and minis) owned Multics - they got it from GE. On our Level 6, I found out about this file that the users had access to, but didn't know what it did. I fiddled with it and managed to get the OS to let me do some things that the other users couldn't do, heh-heh. Finally, the PCs took over and the old minis got shipped out. The writing was on the wall. But it still took years for the PCs to get the multitasking that the minis had had for years.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I was working on analog computers back then. Not really much of a computer.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

IIRC, I programmed in machine code on IBM 1410 in 1961, Fortran with Hollerith cards on IBM 7094 in 1963 to 1964, and a cute little IBM 1605 (?) in 1966... And then came my own Altair in 1974.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Where is this in Explorer?

Naaaah! Only your psych-egos ;-) Although "eat cake" smacks of French, and you know what that will get you ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Summer of '60 or '61, at MIT, IBM 709??, used punched cards, learned FAP and Fortran.

...Jim Thompson

I think the 7090 turned into a 7094 sometime in the early 60s. CTSS was running by 65 - on a heavily modified 7094 initially designed for American Airlines Saber reservations system. Main feature was 2 banks of memory and a few new instructions to switch and relocate/bounds registers.

The 709 that was used before the 7090 was donated to the EE dept. Tubes! IBM didn't want to maintain it but grad students don't cost much. I never saw it, but heard credible rumors.

Hal Murray

Tools | Folder Options | View | Display the full path in the address bar

except that it doesn't display the last part (the file name)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

1620?

I was surprised that "only 2000 were made" as I learned programming on one at Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, CA and ended up maintaining one at Loma Linda Univerisity for several years (including designing and building an interface for a 3rd party lineprinter). At one point the IBM field office inquired whether I would be interested in sub- contracting to maintain another one in Palm Springs because they had no field staff left that knew how to work on them.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Well, "Screw him" is so crude and unseemly. I was, in fact, not sure if I'd been killfiled; I'll go boot Win2K now and give you step-by-step instructions, that take longer to describe than to do. ;-)

Let me know if you're not using W2K - I'll have to check the others (XP, 98) have the "Show full path in title bar" option.

If you want to poke around in the interim, from memory it's somewhere in the settings of Windows Explorer - I don't remember if it's under "Tools/Options" or "Edit/Preferences" or one of the network config thingies - I have XP on the laptop, and 2000 on this one (I need to reboot), and I'll tell you which it is.

Back in minutes! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In Win2K, Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer .

In WinXP, Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer .

Win 98 might have these features as well, but I haven't ren 98 in some time.

OK, you've got WE open:

Tools/Folder Options

Then click the "View" tab, then look down the list of view options until you see one named, "Display full path in the title bar".

Check it.

Now, this will only be the directory path - it doesn't include the file name, but you can

a) paste the path, and type the filename part by hand, or B) Switch back to WE task, _single-click_ the filename to highlight it, right-click, select "Rename" from the popup context menu, and then DON'T TYPE ANYTHING - your filename will be highlighted, and in this mode, any typing replaces the whole name with blank - ONLY press Control-C. (arrow keys will unhilite it, but you're still in edit mode, but you don't want to do this.) This copies the file name to the clipboard. Press ESC. This gets you out of "Rename" mode. Switch over to the task that you've just pasted the path into, and you can paste the filename you've just copied.

Which OS are you actually running?

If it's 2K, you can drag the WE icon from the 3-deep menu right to your taskbar. Being an old "I wanna see what's on my computer" type, that's one of the first things I do when I reinstall. :-)

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Locutus Borg

OOpps!

Booted the other OS, and forgot to change my posting alias. It's just me, being absent-minded again.

You're not assimilated, that I know of. :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've just had a vision of a Linux distro with "real" MS Win GUI stuff.

The only thing wrong with Linux is it's not ready for Aunt Tillie yet. But the whole Windoze eye-candy GUI was _designed_ to be Aunt Tillie- friendly - they've got a thousand programmers, why not just: A ) Incorporate those secret drivers in an Xorg conf so they can get those nice, crisp, clean graphics B ) do all the other sweet Doze stuff at the level of the Desktop Manager. And of course, use the current Kernel, and all that.

So you'd have the bennies of Win eye candy/Aunt Tillie-friendliness on a foundation of Linux.

There are no losers in that game - Bill can still sell it - that's in the GPL.

And all the spam would go away, when everybody started dropping it at their iptables.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Control Data nee Bendix G-15. The "language" they taught in class was "Intercom 500" which was kind of like assembly language, but interpreted. The machine language was much more interesting -

29-bit words, with a rotating drum memory.

This is about the best link I've found on short notice:

I was in 11th grade, and the high school had one. I was struck by the irony that its terminal was an IBM electric typewriter. :-) (not SElectric, just an ordinary electric typewriter with solenoids & stuff).

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Speaking of this, the first couple of paragraphs here might give a better idea of why I'm so enamoured of the G-15:

Page 3 is upside-down, but my PDF reader can turn it over OK.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, OK, but you guys might as well be The Sphinx, compared to us young pups. ;-)

And I withdraw my attempt to claim "Oldest Programmer". ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Dark

PC/MS-DOS

reasons.

multics

do

operating

disk's

serious

concepts

GE.

access

get

out.

get

Manager.

the

Here we go again - he's turning this NG into a linux NG. What little I know about Linux tells me that the folks that use it are _not_ aunt tillie. And if people want whatever, they can use Lindows or whatever it's called. I really don't wantt to discuss this crap, because it's not on topic. Take it to the proper NG.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Yep, it was the 1620, that was one sexy little beast! It had BCD arithmetic made with thousand of logic cards based on 2n404 germanium transistors, IIRC, with negative logic voltages. The 1620 I explored (likely a model 2) was in the lobby of Harvard's Mallinckrodt building (Chemistry dept). I think its clock rate was about 200kHz. According to the computerhistory site it had 20us core memory. Do you remember its word size? With its BCD lookup arithmetic, the 1620 was well-suited to Fortran programs.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

The biggest problem with linux relative to "Aunt Tillie" is that no machines come preloaded and preconfigured with linux. Once linux is set up, and configured with the proper desktop manager, it runs as smoothly, and "Aunt Tillie" friendly as any computer ever could.

How many "Aunt Tillies" do you think could do a fresh load of any Windoze product on a virgin PC? You can't know, because they never have to. They go to K-Mart, and buy their XP machine off the shelf.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

So the only proper OT discussions are those about 'doze?

Speaking of Aunt Tillie, my mother works Open Office, and all the games on a linux machine just fine. I get no more questions from her on linux than I did on 'doze. Computer literate, she is not.

-Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Harris