OT Bookcase Repair problem

Easily, it is just an epoxy.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

Bondo is a common tool in the furniture restoration trade. It sands, it stains, and can even look pretty good if it isn't up in your face.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

What hole? Just embed the shelf support in the filler. What's with all this sanding and drilling crap. Or- get some #8 x 2-1/2" drywall screws and wind them into the shelf from the outside-or tap some dowels thru:

View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

| | | | | | | | | | | | | |------------------| | >-+--- ---+-< | |------------------| | | | | |

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Tell the bitch to keep her feet off the shelf! The first thing that comes to mind is the shelf falling forward and dumping its entire contents on the hapless soul. In a way, that's a good Darwin example. If not that, then the employee suing for workmans comp after falling on her rump.

Onm any case have the common courtesy to crosspost to at least one appropriate newsgroup such as rec.woodworking. whatever. Also, a day or so ago someone created a couple alt.woodworking newsgroups. Why don't you try one or two?

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

holes

Or a big piece of hardwood and a lathe or whatever and make it into one of these.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

I wish I had a cleaning lady, specially one that thorough!

Seriously, cut a few pieces of wood that fit snuggly between the shelves to carry the load in compression. If you want to make it pretty put book jackets on them!

While you are at it, make certa>Subject: Bookcase with Shelves supported by brass pins into 1/4"

Reply to
John Ferrell

Hehe- the price he pays for going with the low bidder:-) She will burn the house down next...or use the toilet brush on the sink fixtures or...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

... or were you thinking of joining the diaspora?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Buy cleaning lady a long handled feather duster.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

And I only drink the beer that Larkin sends me ;-)

(Actually I finally bought some myself when the local Safeway started stocking it :)

...Jim Thompson

Well, for a fleeting moment I did consider just epoxying them back in ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Good old _automotive_ Bondo ??

...Jim Thompson

Yep! My brother spent a number of years working for a furniture restoration company that did a lot of insurance claims. When they would find a table with a deep gouge in one of its legs, or some fancy, uhmmm footwork (you know, those lion's claw legs that are grasping a ball) they would fill the gouge, or restore the claw with good old automotive grade Bondo, and smooth, stain and finish. The end result was indistinguishable from the original. Since Bondo is very sticky, and slightly flexible, it holds up to the usual motion that exists in hardwoods. If the problem was in a table top, they would usually use a more traditional repair method.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

That's a good point. Even then, I'd cut the plugs out of relatively hard wood.

                               -- Etaoin Shrdlu
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

indistinguishable

It's true - Bondo is pretty neat stuff. But you have to be really careful mixing the catalyst, or either be really quick. My first time I used it, I was stirring the pot, and suddenly, the whole thing set, like, NOW. I used a little less catalyst for my next shot, and it came out just right.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

If you have a crayon the same color as the wood, why not? ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich The Philosophizer

I've used those. I think you could draw on the JB Weld with one.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

If its the and of the shelf plank that's split it might not work. I suppose an angle bracket would be esthetically unacceptable.

You could probably use a taller serving wench, too :)

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Not strong enough for Jim's app. I't great for cosmetic repairs.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

I think I'd suggest getting some Tuffnel rod. Drilling this 1/4", and cutting disks, the depth of the original hole. Then drill new blind holes the size of the Tuffnel rod, and epoxy the disks into the holes. Tuffnel is close in colour to oak, and if necessary, you could even paint grain structures on the surface. This will be far stronger, and durable in the long term. Funnily, I have an old bookcase, which has ivory inserts round the holes used for the shelf pegs, presumably to make them fit better, and be stronger. Then supply a good pair of steps.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett