OT Bookcase Repair problem

Subject: Bookcase with Shelves supported by brass pins into 1/4" holes drilled in side walls of bookcase body (oak plywood).

Problem: Cleaning lady stands on edge of a low shelf to reach up to dust top shelves and rips out two pins, gouging out the drilled holes :-(

I guess I can fill the holes and re-drill, but I was wondering if there doesn't exist an over-size insert with a 1/4" hole in it?

Anyone have experience in this area? My Googling only produces how to do it first time out, not how to repair.

...Jim Thompson

Time to get a little piece of hardwood and break out the wood lathe.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Flanged Bearings are one way. see

Select: bearings/ flanged/ .25 shaft / select depth and OD to suit the hole / I recommend the Bronze for durability.

Used these to repair library shelves for a local school. The trick is to be sure to get the oversized holes centered.

Reply to
Clarence

See my response, it cost more, but lasts forever!

Reply to
Clarence

PERFECTO!! Thanks, Spehro! I knew my experience couldn't be the "first event" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

If you have one. But the parts to do the repair are readily available!

Reply to
Clarence

I have one of those drill guides that expedites square drilling to any flat surface.

...Jim Thompson

Or get a decent bookcase and ditch the plywood rubbish. I assume this cleaning lady was not some elephant.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)

Me, I'd get out a bit of brass and trot over to the metal lathe. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

/ I

Then it will be pretty easy to install these inserts. I also have a drill guide, but I can't remember where or when I bought it, and it has no label on it.

The Guides I installed about 15 years ago are still doing the job. So I know it is a good way to go for a repair.

Reply to
Clarence

Jim Thompson schrieb:

You might also use a cork ;) But you could also try to get hold of something called a 'chemical cement' like WIT-C100

There should be alternate products from other companies.

Regards Markus

Reply to
Markus Mandl

Fill the four holes and drill four new ones above or below.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

My first thought was to fill with a good wood paste, then drill a pilot hole before fully dried. Then drill out to 1/4" when fully hardened. But wood dough can be difficult to drill, so I'm tending now toward the insert approach mentioned by Spehro and Clarence.

...Jim Thompson

I recall seeing a drill guide that would fit on the edge or end of a 2 x 4 or whatever, you could twist it so that it would center the hole on the edge. It would hold a drill perpendicular to a surface, and a bunch of other things too- really a cute mechanical design. Kind of smoked plastic with a bunch of notched ears on it. But I couldn't find them at the hardware store when I wanted to buy one. 8-(

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Plywood is the good stuff. Most bookcases sold here are Ikea or similar pressboard type stuff. Fine if you never overstress them or try to move them, otherwise they literally fall apart.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, Ikea stuff is sometimes simple laminated card board, with some reinforcements in the edges, made of pine wood. I bought two square boxes on wheels and put them together, used as a moveable room divider, with my 42' (;-)) flatscreen on top of it. My wife doesn't dare to touch it.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Too bad we don't all live in Lee Valley.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Procrastinate. How about a garage-book-sale next saturday ?

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'x' and 'invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

1) Get a four right angle 1"x1" (or so) brackets and four FH wood screws. Screw the brackets to the sides of the bookcase, and set the shelf on the hanging, stuck out, arm of the bracket. 2) Drill brand new holes for the pins. You know they don't have to be in line with all the other holes ... drill them to the side by 1.5" so you are well away from the shattered chipboard.
--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.