New Type of Clock

[snip]

Haven't you overworked your gag --------^^^^^^^^^^ , or are you just a consistent misspeller ?:-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

The CATV headends I worked in used "Heterodyne Signal Processors" which means that the off air signals are converted to the standard TV IF, fed through separate aural and visual IF amps with separate gain controls to adjust the offset level. Then the IF signals are up (or down) converted to the desired channel. The demod to baseband and modulator systems are a lot more expensive and complex. There is a lot more to go wrong, for very little gain. CATV headends built with HSP equipment had little or no problems with MDS stereo, while the separate demods and modulators had to be modified or replaced. The reason usually given to use the Demod/mod scheme was to simplify switching, but the newer HSP units have an IF loop through feature, and some have a second IF input for emergency alerts to be fed to all channels. For that to work, the modulators for the locally generated and satellite feeds is modulated to the standard TV IF, then upconverted like the off air signals.

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It isn't Watson's gag. It has become a widespread and common internet "inside joke".

Reply to
Richard Crowley

That would preserve the subcarrier (color burst) frequency which many of those schemes used as a "secondary reference".

But nowadays with GPS receivers so cheap and easy to use, it isn't very practical to use any other methods of timekeeping.

Unless you live within a reasonable distance of WWV/B, etc.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Thanks. I get WNET in NYC who say they put out the signal. The quality of the picture at my end across many channels is fair. It is the same at other locations on the cable system. It looks like a weak signal combined with a little noise. I've complained to them (CABLEVISION) and it may get better for a while but then gets bad again. Perhaps I am paranoid, but the quality of the signal seemed to get worse around the time they started adding new services - data, voice, digital channels. Anyway, this also might explain my inability to get the time signal.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's supposed to be funny. But in this context sounds more like a male chauvinist p*g talking. :-(

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

As far as I know, Scott Adams was the first to use the term, right along with "induhviduals."

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise