metal tubes

The plants that made them are probably buried under shopping malls by now :-(

RCA were a big player, ISTR Sylvania, too. The main European producers were STC (Part of ITT), M-O Valve Company (AKA English Electric Valves, or EEV), AEG-Telefunken. Valvo, in Saarbrucken may have been involved, too, but I'm not sure there.

Somebody at the BBC's engineering department (or what's left of it) might give you a steer. Their 198KHz Droitwich transmitter is still running, and that may still be tubes. It's damn big.

Do a Google for

There may be obscure companies manufacturing for the niche market that's left over. If it came to replacing ten grand's worth of final tube or half a mil for a new transmitter, I know what I'd do :-)

--
Then there's duct tape ...
              (Garrison Keillor)

There are companies who rebuild transmitter tubes, and Richardson Electronics (

) still sells industrial and broadcast transmitter tubes.

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida