Java Microcontrollers

Can you get microcontrollers that are programmed with Java. All the onesi have found are programmed in basic assembly or C .

Reply to
Micheal.A.Lynch

there used to be javamok but it seems they dont exist anymore... replaced by basic picpro ?

--
Jean-Yves.
Reply to

Yes, there are things like the Javelin Stamp, the JStamp (based on the aJile chip), the DS-TINI, probably others ... I haven't used any of them.

You could presumably also use something like gcj to compile Java to the native code of an AVR, or run a tiny JVM on a larger chip like an ARM.

I'm adding comp.arch.embedded to the newsgroups line, since this seems like more down their alley.

--
   Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

Any of the ARM variants that have "J" in the list of suffixes has some java bytecode execution magic in them. I don't know how much extra you need to actually make a JVM, and I don't know how much (if any) better that is than a software JIT-based JVM. Hopefully someone who does will comment.

Cheers,

--
Andrew
Reply to

yes: arm7

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

JIT is a bit hard to implement if you pick a micro with a harvard architecture as usually they can't execute the ram...

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, but ARM isn't one of those. Or did you have some other point?

Cheers,

--
Andrew
Reply to

ARM Cortex M3 actually is, unless the manufacturer adds extra RAM. Core RAM is not accessible from program space.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

No, Cortex-M3 can read data from flash and execute from SRAM. Like most ARMs it is Harvard because it has separate instruction and data interfaces to improve performance. However it does have a single unified address space unlike pure Harvards.

In any case running a JIT compiler on a small micro controller is a bit optimistic unless it is very simple.

Wilco

Reply to
Wilco Dijkstra

What is "Core RAM"? CM3 can execute code from any location but peripheral space (PPB and device) and the NX region at the top.

Code execution is usually slightly quicker from the lower 512MB (code region), which is normally used for Flash/ROM. Could also be RAM though.

Regards Marcus

--
note that "property" can also be used as syntaxtic sugar to reference
a property, breaking the clean design of verilog; [...]

             (seen on http://www.veripool.com/verilog-mode_news.html)
Reply to
Marcus Harnisch