infrared narrow beam heaters ?

Hi all,

Trying to solder QSOP16 packages to a PCB by hand, bascially just have the PCB cooking ontop of a infrared bar heater and simply bunging the IC ontop when the solder melts... apart from getting the IC to align it does a good job at soldering the IC, only problem is the heater burns the board with a

500W bar, I will connect my variac to it and try it at a lower power which should help, though my question is, is there any infrared heaters which can just give a narrow beam of about 5mm ? At least that way I can just heat the IC area and not the entire PCB... Thinking also about any high wattage lights is took down to a narrow beam would probably get hot enough to melt solder....

Using a soldering iron is out of the question in the normal way, I could invest in a flat tip and heat a square on the reverse side of the PCB, that would probably work also....so.. anyone got any ideas for a narrow beam heatsource ?

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
exxos

Perhaps you could modify a hot air paint stripper to make a small nozzle?

Reply to
CWatters

Yeah, ive actually got a hot air soldering station for doing such things, but since it blows , it blows the solder off the PCB, so you can only really use a IR type thing... They do make 150W IR devices for SMT reworks, fear at the cost of one of those things though!

Chris

Reply to
exxos

really

at

Perhaps you could make a large bit for a soldering iron from something that doesn't wet out with solder easily - perhaps stainless steel or aluminium? Use it to apply heat direct onto all the pins at once.

Reply to
CWatters

For such jobs I use a Weller Pyropen with a hot air nozzle. (They come with 2 sizes hot air nozzles.)

And some proper solder cream, not the wire-type solder :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Yeah im using the solder paste at the moment, looking to get a none-flame gas soldering iron type thing also, I cant use the paste with a blower since it blows the paste everywhere. ah well.....

Chris

Reply to
exxos

Then try a pyropen. There is neither a flame nor a blow anywhere near 'blowing away the paste'. Use the 1 mm nozzle.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Have you tried turning down the air flow on that hot air station and using a board pre-heater?

--
James T. White
SPAMjtwhiteGUARD@hal-pc.org

Note:  Remove SPAM-GUARD to reply.
Reply to
James T. White

any air flow messes it up, I have found that my 22W 12V lamp is the best tool, simply put past on the tracks, plog IC on top, put board ontop of the lamp for about 2 mins and leave to cool, worked first time!

Chris

Reply to
exxos

can