How to make an LED light regardless of polarity?

Please excuse the newbie question:

How can I make an ordinary LED light up regardless of the VDC polarity?

I can imagine a way to do it involving four additional diodes, but that's more than I have room for in this application. Is there some clever way to do it with only two (or less)?

Thanks,

- Joe

,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net

| `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Reply to
Joe Strout

Just put two leds back to back so they share the same current limiting.

Works!

Reply to
Clarence

No way I know of. You do know you can get dual Leds in one package don't you?

Reply to
Clarence

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I need to light *one* LED regardless of polarity. Two won't do; the spec allows for just one.

Thanks,

- Joe

,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net

| `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Reply to
Joe Strout

You can also get the four diodes (bridge rectifier) in one package.

Reply to
Michael A. Covington

I think you mean in parallel (so they share the same current limiting

Reply to
R.Lewis

what is your source voltage? use a bridge rectifier and connect the LED to the + and - terminal.

Reply to
Ryan Wheeler

--
What's it worth to ya?
Reply to

You could use a two-colour LED--but then the colours would be different in different polarities.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

9 VDC, though of course I use a current-limiting resistor.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Best,

- Joe

,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net

| `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Reply to
Joe Strout

--
Amazing! a bridge rectifier _is_ four diodes, which you said you had
no room for...

And four diodes are usually smaller than a bridge rectifier. Though I haven't looked at SMD models that may be out there.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

Try to find those two-color LEDs that have two different color LEDs in one LED package, those two are installed on different directions. Installing such LED would make the LED to light on different colors on different polarity power, and third (combination of those first two) when AC is feed to it. This could be one option to consider if you specification allows it.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/

But it's one component instead of four. Is it so amazing that I have room for one more component (possibly even two), but not four? Or have I missed something?

,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net

| `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Reply to
Joe Strout

An 1n914/1n4148 with leads is very small and 4 of them mounted behind the LED will make it a bit longer but not wider.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

--- I think you've missed something.

You said, in essence, that you didn't have room for four motorcyles, but that a Honda Civic would be fit in the same volume.

That is, not that there aren't any, but I haven't seen any full-wave bridges in packages smaller that four tiny diodes, and they're both four diodes. There is another possibility, though, and that's that there are lots of tiny dual diodes out there, so you could make up your bridge that way if you could fit two of them in there and the full-wave bridge wouldn't.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

"Joe Strout" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com...

Have a look at the size of the components mentioned. A diode bridge requires (much) more space then four small diodes (1N4148 for instance.)

petrus bitbyter

petrus bitbyter

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mustang.speedfactory.net:

yup!!! an example is old radio shack part number 276-065 commercial equivalent is 369HHd. A single jumbo LED with common cathodes and two separate anode leads.

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

me

The Siemens BAV99S has 4 doides which can be bridge connected in a 6 pin SOT-363 package which is about 2mm square.

Reply to
nospam

Thank you all for your input. I've already got some bridge rectifiers on order from Mouser, but if none of them fit the task, I'll try four separate diodes (or two dual diodes) instead.

Thanks,

- Joe

,------------------------------------------------------------------. | Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: | | snipped-for-privacy@strout.net

Reply to