Gripe

Why don't they make the pins/leads on IC sockets just a little longer? They barely reach through to the other side of the standard PC pboard. And they don't like solder, to boot. Bitch bitch bitch. Next time I'll tin them all before trying to use them. That will help the solder-rejection problem, at least.

Had to build a new transistor testor when my old one started giving anomalous results, telling me certain kinds of transistors were bad when I knew they were good. Spent nearly the last hour trying to get the battery leads to attach firmly. Still not sure if it will last. If I have to I'll unplug the chips and cut the sockets out with wire cutters before replacing them with better prepared ones. Just not looking forwad to that possibility. Shouldn't be so hard to get a stupid solder joint to take.

Thanks for listening, sorry for wasting bandwidth...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Its the great lead free solder conspiracy - perpetrated by psychotic technophobes trying to end the production of all electronic devices!!!

Reply to
ian field

Corrosion/oxidation is the prime reason soldering does not work.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

::snick:: Yeah, that's what it is. Technophobes. They are out to get me. I knew it. And now I have proof. :)

Seriously, thanks for the humorous reply. Guess I just had to bitch about something, and that was the worm in the apple at the moment.

Peace. May your holidays be happy ones...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

LOL! Thank you. I honestly needed that. Did you notice that they only sang for something like seven and a half minutes, but the video was eight and a half minutes long? Wonder if that was just coincidence... Probably not. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Aaah. Okay, so I really do need to tin the socket leads first. Thanks. I didn't realize...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

New purchased and properly packaged parts rarely need any preparation before soldering, I use a lot of salvaged parts of dubious origin and find Fry's fluxite paste very useful on parts with oxidised pins. In an emergency water based plumbers flux can be used, this is available in two grades - the more active grade can strip the iron plating off soldering bits but will make almost any component solderable. Cellulose thinners (gunwash is cheaper) is good for cleaning off flux but can attack some components!

Reply to
ian field

Thanks. I also use a lot of surplus parts, which is probably the origin of the problem, and will check out these suggestions.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

--
This'll make you feel better:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4685602358019994174&q=Helsinki+complaint+chorus
Reply to
John Fields

Dunno.  Did you notice the woman in the next to the last scene
wiping her tears away?  She got it.
Reply to
John Fields

dunno, but wire-wrap sockets have much longer pins

Try a different brand. those ones with folded sheetmetal contacts are pretty crappy, the ones with machined pins cost only a few cents more and are much nicer.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Will try both of these. Thanks.