Who has TO-5 10-pin sockets (TO-100)?

A client of mine needs TO-5 10-pin sockets, often called TO-100. For example Keystone Cat.No. 4594. They are commonly used for small VCSEL lasers with integrated thermo-electric coolers. But not much for ICs anymore and that seems to be the problem.

Is there a distributor that carries these old style sockets? Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Farnell and so on are all out of stock.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Mouser catalog has them.

Data sheet

Ross Herbert

I didn't notice that Mouser stock level was NIL.... However, it gives a lead.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Well, that's the problem. Found them in many places but stock is always nil :-(

At least I found a few of them on Ebay. Unfortunately the cheap stuff, not gold-plated machined ones. If nothing works we'll hack some of the

8-pin sockets here in my lab so that five pins are left and glue the parts together. Ugly, but functional. That won't work later in production though.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You can order direct. Keystone Canada has them in stock

    Boris Mohar
Reply to
Boris Mohar

Aries website

stock check for part 10-514-10 shows only 76 total in 2 places. Not cheap either....

Aries may be prepared to do a run if more are needed.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Got a PM with a link to Digikey. They have the Mill-Max brand in stock. In case someone else needs these: ED2154-ND

(Thanks, David!)

I am just wondering what Digikey did to their search engine. After their "improvement" most of my searches end in a database error. Sometimes the exact same search does work on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Just found a 0603

10uF ceramic that way, attempts 1 and 2 bombed, 3rd worked. Frustrating.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks. Meantime another engineer wrote me and he found Mill-Max stock at Digikey. $5 is expensive but right now that wouldn't have mattered.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I don't know what they would be called, but you can / could buy machined sockets in bulk for stuffing in pcb boards. You could lay out a suitable pattern on a PCB and solder them into the plated through holes in the PCB. They made really low profile sockets!

Also look out with intermatallics! Tin plated leads and gold sockets don't like each other (fretting corrosion), but people commonly use gold plated machined sockets on tin plated IC's, believing they are creating a superior connection, when in reality, the cheap tin plated sockets would be much more reliable. Since machined sockets (which seem to only come gold plated) tend to be used in designs that are expensive, and are usually meant to last awhile, this is a major problem.

Reply to
Jeff L

It's been like that for a few days now. I have been using the site heavily during a new design. Must be costing them a lot of money.

Bugs aside, I think the search engine *is* improved. Still can't sort on price though :(.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I found that as well yesterday, but found that a simple page refresh usually got the results.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Yes - has improved - like now being able to select 'in stock' later on in the search process. I also really miss sort on price though, and wish they would merge all the various quantity options into a single line - maybe with another column.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

These will be used with wires soldered to them. We'll go for gold because the laser pins are mostly also gold-plated.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I liked the old one better. Sorting by price is the major milestone they've missed with the change. It's a serious hassle, especially since most sites like Digikey don't let you select "show all". TI does, so guess who gets a lot of business via me ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think they got rid of that bug where you had to select "in stock" at the beginning or it would ignore it. That's a big help.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

But they seem to have put a whole lot of other bugs into it in the process. IMHO they should spend the money for an EE consultant who actually tests it and tells them right there what's wrong.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to