Freeware unit conversion/calculator tool alpha release

Some time ago in sci.electronics.misc (or somewhere in sci.electronics.) there was a thread about unit conversion tools and I mentioned I was developing yet another such tool.

I found time some time to tidy it up and have released an alpha version.

The supplied read me about covers it (apart from that it is for Win32):-

uSheet 1.0 Alpha

YOU NEED TO READ THIS!

uSheet started out as yet another unit conversion program.

I wanted a compact and user friendly interface for day to day conversions, not a reference book of unit conversions with a built in calculator.

For this reason uSheet is configurable, it can convert mm to fathoms and furlongs but will not unless it is configured to do so.

While devising the configuration system I realised uSheet could be made into rather more than a units conversion tool. It was looking more like a microscopic spreadsheet and was named to reflect this.

Everything uSheet knows comes from its configuration text file uSheet.cfg. This file can be edited with notepad and contains brief information on its format and example 'sheets'.

Do not rely on the accuracy of the supplied calculations and conversions I have not checked them.

I hope the uSheet user interface is obvious. Just click on a Value cell, enter values and hit return to recalculate the sheet. If you are not using a mouse the F2 key is used to enter and leave cell editing mode.

uSheet is freeware see License.txt

Known problems:

  1. When changing sheets the initial values may be garbled.
  2. There are occasional glitches with rounding errors, 0.00 may be converted to -0.00 for example.

You can discuss, get support, and the latest version of uSheet from

nospam
[snip]

Look up a very convenient program called "Convert".

...Jim Thompson

"Convert" is a good example of why I wrote uSheet.

Reply to
nospam

Too generic a name IMHO--kinda like Word or Windows.

nospam has a lot of work to do to catch up with this old gem.

22 categories.
Reply to
JeffM

I've been using it for years... very handy!

...Jim Thompson

Configuring uSheet to provide every conversion offered by Convert would be a couple of hours of typing, but, I have no desire to subject uSheet users to the many 'essential' conversions such as nanometers to nautical miles and gigawatthours to attojoules provided by Convert.

uSheet has an unlimited number of 'categories' and can provide useful conversions such as meters to feet and inches, fractional inches to mm, and decimal degrees to d:m:s. uSheet can do sales tax, enter one of gross, net, or tax amounts and see the other two immediately calculated. All of this is beyond Convert's capabilities.

It isn't a question of catching up. uSheet by design doesn't look like much but is actually in a different league.

Reply to
nospam

It's a free, free world... run your product up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes it. Personally I do my bookkeeping with Quicken and QuickBooks.

...Jim Thompson

I thought Republicans were supposed to be anit-communists. Intuit. Yuck! After their C-Dilla escapade, I can't imagine anyone giving them money. ...and that was after all their other nonsense.

(I'm pretty sure Michael Crawford (the boss at goingware) is a Repug.)

Reply to
JeffM

Master Converter is also very good. Available at

-- Mark

Reply to
redbelly98

Could you provide the link again? Your original post must have expired from my server. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
jason

or search

nospam

Shoot. If Google keeps this up, we won't even need to install software on our boxes

JeffM