ever heard of book- Basic Elec, Van Valken Nooger & Neville

I was digging through some old boxes of books and came across this series of books yellow/red

basic electricity (1-6 volumes) by Van Valkenburgh Nooger & Neville Inc. pub Hayden date 1954 ISBN 0-8104-003-0

is this stuff to old to learn/re-learn fundamentals of electricity theory ?

i remember thumbing through these books when i was a kid but nothing stuck, well not that i remember just curious if they are worth keeping or throwing out ?

robb

Reply to
Rob B

Keep, store them away in a dry spot, give them to someone that will hold on for another 50 years

Reply to
James Douglas

theory ?

Not unless electrons have changed in the last 50 years ;-)

Reply to
UFO Joe

haha, i was thinking more along lines that our understanding of electrons has changed in past 50 years, so that might make these books explanation incorrect or misleading ?

I was reading some article (maybe a newsgroup thread) about the misleading and confusing use of terms in electricity/electronics and was wanting to avoid any pitfalls

robb

Reply to
Rob B

I guess it depends on how basic they are, and whether there's some revolutionary new development that takes place. One such event happened around the date of the books. The invention of the transistor. If they talk about tubes, maybe it's time to think of the material as of historical interest rather than educational. I have some of my old EE books from 45 years ago and they still are relevant; however, I suspect a EE student today would find that there are a number of new things taught. Another item that's coming into play now is quantum mechanics, and has been for many years.

The focus changes, but for the most part good facts remain as good facts. Maxwell's equations still work. Euclidian geometry still works too.

Check Amazon and see if any are offered there. They have quite a bit of value to someone as rare books.

Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

--
                     "I often quote myself - it adds spice to
                      my conversation." - George Bernard Shaw

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

of

A Van Valkenburgh book was on our book list when I studied Electronics at Southhampton University in 1979-81.

Reply to
CWatters

Those old books may shortly be the only source of fundamental operation info available. Tubes and transistors might look different, but the working principles are still the same today. Just keep them and read them to enjoy and refress your knowledge.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry