DVD player freezes up

I have an Audiovox Movies 2Go player in a van. It will no longer play a full movie. It will play for as little as 15min or up to an hour then the image freezes on the screen. It will not respond to any commands after that. All I can do is turn it off and start over. I have spoken to Best Buy about repairing it. They want $120 just to look at it. The cost goes up from there. I have seen a new player for as little as $169. They did indicate that it may just be a head alignment problem. Can anyone tell me anything about this process or point me to someone who can look at it without charging me the cost of a new one.

slingwing Dallas, TX

Reply to
slingwing

Look for an independent repair shop but get references from friends first.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I really doubt that head alignment is the answer. I'll suggest that you replace it.

By the way, my experience with several DVD players is not great. They all seem to be quirky.

Reply to
Charles Schuler
[snip]

Just get a new one. The repair even from independent may not be cheap and a new one will come with full warranty while your old player may have something different waiting to fail.

Stick the old player on eBay, someone's bound to pick it up for self repairs or use as spare parts.

too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
Reply to
Impmon

It sounds like some parts are over-heating. I'd run it with the case off, and perhaps have a small fan blowing air on the circuit board.

David, VA3DKS

Impm> >

Reply to
David Snowdon

Does it use a SMPS? (most do these days) Replace the filter caps,usually fixes it.

Reply to
PhattyMo