DC from 2 candles?

You have probably seen this before, but I was just sent a video which features a guy taking two candles, about 4" dia. X 3" tall, and sticking a nail into the side of each one, then rubbing a magnet on each nail "to magnetize it." The caption said to be sure the nail doesn't stick out the other side. Then, he takes a jumper wire and runs one from each nail to each terminal of a flashlight bulb. Then he lights the candles, and the bulb lights up, and does so until one or both candles is blown out. I thought that might be possible, although I don't know why or how it works -- but then the following demonstration he did the same thing with a small electric motor. Is this real, or something like a magician might do in a magic show?

Reply to
James Goforth

From your description I am assuming the candle flames are merely series elements in the circuit. Part of the flame is a region of ionized gas. Ionized gas conducts electricity. I am a bit surprised that a flame would support a very high current flow, but then again I cannot see how bright the bulb lights.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I could send that demonstration video to you if you would like to see it (it's actually pretty interesting). Email me at my webtv address and I will send it, if you want.

Reply to
James Goforth