CRT monitor query: Relationship between video input bandwidth and refresh rate/resolution settings possible...

On 4/19/2006, Ken Moiarty posted this:

As you agreed, reorientation was worth a try. Too bad it didn't work :-(

Here's a new idea: get one of those desks where the monitor sits underneath pointing up. I bet that's an orientation you haven't tried yet!

Naturally, the above is no more serious than my mu-metal suggestion. OK, a variation on mu-metal just occurred to me: get a window screen of mu-metal, to protect you agains West Nile Virus while simlutaneously preventing your monitor picture from wiggling, all the while saving weight.

Sorry, just wasting bandwidth with impractical whimsy.

As for credit card fever, as a fellow sufferer, I hear your implicit cry for help.

Gotta go now, there are more things to buy :-)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

I have used those at the local library, and they stink. You are in an uncomfortable position, leaning over to look at the monitor as you type. they might as well hang it right over your head, from the ceiling. It couldn't be an more uncomfortable.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

This would have been a consideration if I had meant it - and Ken had taken it - seriously :-)

I do wish I had a useful idea for Ken Moiarty's problem, though.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

I didn't want someone who hand never seen one to think it was a good idea. After all, it was posted to the news:sci.electronics.basics group, as well. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK, I appreciate and concur with your motivation! You just taught me something.

Just to carp a little, for fun, not seriously - I note that the newscasters on the program I watch have such monitors. Obviously their requirements are completely different, since they need to be visible, and it isn't like they are viewing and typing on an eight-hour shift.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

They are looking at video cues from the control room, and reading scripts from their teleprompters which only display a few words at a time in a very large font, on standard NTSC video monitors. They are too vain to wear glasses so they can't see the ones they used to mount on the studio cameras. BTW, I'm a former YV broadcast engineer, and I know all their tricks. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They are looking at video cues from the control room, and reading scripts from their teleprompters which only display a few words at a time in a very large font, on standard NTSC video monitors. They are too vain to wear glasses so they can't see the ones they used to mount on the studio cameras. BTW, I'm a former TV broadcast engineer, and I know all their tricks. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When I read your reply, I saw that my post was a bit ambiguous...

When I said "they need to be visible", I meant that the reporters had to be visible to the audience - tho' sometimes I wish they weren't :-)

One of my exercises - especially when the story is dull - is to watch the newscasters' eyes for that tiny tell-tale wiggle as they read the Teleprompter. (Jeez - I need to get a life!)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Or stop the telepromter for a couple seconds, then double the speed so that they have to try to read fast and remember the story long enough to tell it. ;-)

When I was working at a military TV station in the early '70s the "Talent" wouldn't stay in their seats when I went to an actuality. They were never in a hurry to get back to their seats and it made my switching look sloppy. I got tired of it so I rewired their off air speakers and video monitors. They were standing in front of the news desk shadow boxing about half way through an actuality when I turned off their audio monitors. When they looked up and saw themselves on the off air video monitors they freaked and ran back to their chairs. The next time I punched up the off air feed from another TV station, in the middle of a boring local fishing show to keep them guessing. They told me that they were going to complain to the station manager. I laughed and told them that from now on, I was not waiting for them to get ready, that if they screwed up I was going to go to a slide that said, "Please pardon the morons on your screen". ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

95Khz horz freq will get you about 1600x1200@72Hz. Bandwidth is a measurement of the freq response of the circuitry. It is only a rough estimate of the capability of the monitor in terms of sharpness and ability to render detail. Probably only remotely reliable as an indicator of performance. And I doubt that it includes the sharpness characteristics of the tube.
Reply to
FLY135

Early iterations of the Hazeltine 2000 & its forebears (early 1970's?) used a mu metal shield around the yoke. In their case, to protect nearby equipment from the RF they emitted.

Reply to
Bill's News