Can security devices harm DVDs and electronic devices?

A few days ago I was at Best Buy and bought a couple of DVDs and a vacuum cleaner. The security guy at the exit had this large handheld device, and he rubbed it around my DVDs and then rubbed it on just one part of the box that the vacuum cleaner was in. So he was either using the device to deactivate any security tags on my DVDs and vacuum cleaner, or using the device to determine if I was stealing anything. I guess the device outputted some sort of magnetic field. My question is this: would a magnetic field be harmful to either DVDs or electronic items such as vacuum cleaners?

Reply to
curious

No.

-- jayembee

Reply to
jayembee

DVDs are purely optical devices and are unaffected by magnetic fields. Your vacuum cleaner has magnetic parts but to be damaged the magnetic field would have to be so powerful as to actually bend something... not going to happen from a security device.

--
BT
Reply to

DVD and CD disks are purely optical devices. You can run these through an MRI, and they will still play very well.

The bottom line is a big NO for harming DVD's and CD disks with a magnetic field.

--

Jerry G. ======

Reply to
Jerry G.

But the magnetic field could also induce current in the vacuum's electronic components... would that be harmful to the vacuum at all?

Reply to
curious

Ask the vacuum cleaner!

Reply to
Camper

I've never heard of electronic components being harmed by a magnetic field. Electric fields, yes, but not magnetic. I think the field would have to be enormously strong to cause harm.

The only kinds of devices which could be harmed by magnetic fields are ones that are magnetic-based themselves, such as floppy disks. Don't worry about it.

--
BT
Reply to

TVs and computer monitor screens can be damaged too. Degaussing will usually fix it, but not always.

-

-Jon Purkey -

Reply to
Jon Purkey

If the built in degausser doesn't fix it, find an old time TV technician and have him dig out his manual degausser. One of those will degauss anything.

--
BT (Old time TV tech)
Reply to

Agree: But keep magnetic fields away from the magnetic stripe on your bank/credit cards! One guy laid his credit card on top of a hardware store check out security tag cancellation device and the card got 'wiped'!

Reply to
Terry

Yeah I read that the magnetic field generated by an MRI could damage electronic devices, so I was just wondering if it is possible that a weaker one could also do some damage.

BTW, when you say "electric field", do you just mean static electricity?

Reply to
curious

An electric field can be either static or dynamic. Any time you have voltages of opposite polarity present, there is a field between them.

--
BT
Reply to

Thanks for your answers, everyone.