devices inode???

Hi, I am a newbie for Linux. I was reading a linux device drivers book. I was raeading about character devices and network interfaces.

It was told that unlike character/block devices which has a corresponding entry in a file system (/dev/tty1...), network interface isn't mapped easily to a node in a file system(they do not have a corresponding entry in the filesystem) eventhough an unique name(such as eth0) is given to them.!

Can anyone tell what is the reason behind that???

Thanks, Uday

Reply to
Uday Mullangi

The reason that I can think of is that the file system operations are not relevant in the context of network interfaces hence they are not tereated as a file.

GG

Reply to
Gurmeet

Hi, Sorry to drop in off topic, but your charset is set to iso885915. I think that should be iso8859-15, (Latin 9).

--
Dave Clarke
Reply to