Crafting electronic devices as a hobby!

First I want make sure everybody understand that this is a newbie question. My expertise is with computers but I decided that I want to study a little about electronics as a hobby. Now I wonder what kind of artifacts I could craft using electronics that I can not simply buy on stores or at least that are cheapest to craft than purchase. Any examples you could provide me? Of course I understand that many times I will build a device just to understand how it works but if I can create useful everyday items it will be even more fun!

Reply to
Artificer

Any ideas?

Reply to
Artificer

The Time Fountain will lead to other thoughts..

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Making stuff to use for electronics is popular. Power supplies, function generators, frequency counters and the like are all a) quite expensive to buy and b) fundamentally quite simple. Decent enough ones can be made by the hobbyist.

I wouldn't expect to save any money by producing useful everyday items because industry pretty well has that market covered. You can still make TV remote controls, alarm clocks, stereo amplifiers, burglar alarms and so on if you like, but don't expect to beat the cost of the product in the shops.

If you're already into computers then robotics provides ample opportunity for electronics, though the results don't usually qualify as useful.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
Artificer

That was awesome!

Thanks

Reply to
Artificer

In message , Artificer writes

A bat detector? There are simple circuits which convert the ultrasonic searching calls to frequencies within human hearing range. Good fun, especially if you have kids, as they can often hear sounds above the adult range anyway!

--
John
Reply to