Camcorder control by Firewire?

I have just bought a cheap camcorder which I find allows me to transfer recordings directly from tape to my DVD recorder, via Firewire. In the process, the recorder can automatically switch the camera on/off. Can anyone tell me if it might be possible to build a simple switch to connect to the camcorder [via Firewire connection] for on/off control in the field? Any advice would be much appreciated as I am starting to build up a store of wildlife video-clips and control from a hide can be useful.

--
John
Reply to

no, not simple.

look for a different way - they used to stick a socket in for an external pause switch.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

You'll have to Google for it...but Sony used to sell a device intended to mount on a tripod's pan-handle that provided full control, including zoom lens, etc., via the IEEE-1394 ("FireWire" - "iLink" - etc.) port.

Reply to
webpa

Thanks for your help. I think I shall try to make up a bracket and attach my old cable release to press the on/off button. A full control unit is too expensive for the limited budget set aside for this camera. If I get keen enough to upgrade, there seem to be several camcorders available with IR control units.

--
Cheers,
John.