cable TV rf switch design

anyone have any pointers on how to build a electronic RF switch for cable TV?

I want to be able to turn on and off my kids cable TV.

Would a pin diode be the way to go?

I want it to be controled electronicly.

Any ideas?

thanx

mike

Reply to
mike

TV?

There are a bunch of remote control A/B RF switches available. RS sells one for about $35. Maybe you could adapt one of those to your needs.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It takes more than one diode to get good isolation. You can use a "T" configuration with two diodes in series, and a diode to ground, in the center. Use coupling capacitors for DC isolation. Turn the two diodes on, and the single off to pass the signal. Turn the two diodes off, and the single on to stop the signal.

A hex inverter with three sections in series, and each section connected to a single diode through a resistor will forward or reverse bias the diodes by changing the input voltage to the hex inverter from high to low. This is a common circuit that is used in communications equipment, and to bypass the modulator in VCRs

--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida