Anyone know how flame detection works in (Potterton) boilers?

I've got a 1998 Potterton Profile boiler. It has a single electrode which provides the sparks and also does the flame detection. I've read somewhere on the Internet that you can do flame detection by measuring the current that passes through a flame between two electrodes. Rectification of an ac current removes the possibility of false detection due to sooting because of some ionisation effect.

Anyone got any detailed explanations or circuits?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
squashstring

Like

??

Honeywell always preferred the UV detectors BTW.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Not 100% sure but I believe the potterton flame sensor is a capillary-tube & valve. I read somewhere that it just looks like a coax. Not looked myself.

Reply to
CWatters