Monitor Speakers

Can a typical audio card drive the paralleled speakers in two monitors?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Gee..You should have gotten an answer by now..

Do the speakers in the monitors have built in amplifiers?

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada Posted to usenet sci.electronics.design

Reply to
D from BC

You should treat the outputs like a 600 ohm line.

RL

Reply to
legg

Jim, I routinely run two sets of speakers from this computer. I have a 'Y' cable between the speaker jack, and the normal set. I use the other jack to test used speakers before giving them away. You can find the 'Y' cables at a Dollar Tree store, most of the time. I think I have three new spares for the new computer desk I'm building so each computer can be fed into the main speaker system.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nah - the question is too stupid.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Speakers in monitors usually have their own power amplifiers. The typical modern soundcard can't drive speakers directly; the output is at 'line level'. So the answer is yes.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Unless its a Viewsonic 19" monitor like the 3 I've got which do not have an amp built in. The sound cards drive them but veeery quietly.

Reply to
K Ludger

Which models?

I have two VA912b 19" monitors.

I can get output louder than I care to have.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ha - I'm a daft bastard. Your response prompted me to go have another look. My VA1918WM-2 monitors DO have an inbuilt amp. Its still quiet on 100% but louder than the default 50%. I'll just go stand quietly in a corner somewhere..............

Reply to
K Ludger

No problem ;-)