Laptop adapter plug gets extremely hot

This is very odd. Lately the plug that goes into my laptop gets extremely hot. Its the part at the end of the adapter with hard black plastic casing with a round metal cyclinder for the plug part. What could cause this? There must be some type of voltage drop through some significant resistance to cause such a power dissipation. The socket or area of the laptop near the socket isn't hot at all. Thanks

Reply to
techman41973

My first quess would have been that there is significant resistance on the plug to socket connection (plug or socket wearing out). Because the laptop side is not hot, the reason could be elsewhere. One quess would be that there is a bad connection between the cable and plug parts inside the plug, and this cause heating. For example the wire has bent so many times that most of the copper from the wire is brokes just neary the solder to plug metal parts.

--
Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
http://www.epanorama.net/