Help with replacing barrel plug on AC power tranformer?

Hi. I've got a tranformer that lost its barrel plug, and I'd like to solder a new one on. I'm fairly knowledgable about audio applications, but mostly clueless about electronics.

This transformer has an input of 120V and and output of 9VAC, 1200 mA. Does polarity matter? I mean, is it important that I connect the right wire from the transformer to the right lead on the plug?

One of the transformer's output wires is white, and the other is beige. On the replacement plug, one wire is solid black, and the other is black with a grey stripe. I'm unfamiliar with any standards that this information might communicate.

TIA.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

If it is AC on its output, there will be no damage if the outputs are reversed. But, normally one side is related to the return reference, and in some types of equipment, this may introduce some noise. If this was a DC output, the polarity is extremely important to respect.

--

Jerry G. ======

This transformer has an input of 120V and and output of 9VAC, 1200 mA. Does polarity matter? I mean, is it important that I connect the right wire from the transformer to the right lead on the plug?

One of the transformer's output wires is white, and the other is beige. On the replacement plug, one wire is solid black, and the other is black with a grey stripe. I'm unfamiliar with any standards that this information might communicate.

TIA.

--Geoff

Reply to
Jerry G.

Since it outputs AC, polarity at the barrel plug should be pretty irrelevant. Each side is supposed to be carrying equivalent electrical waveforms, and it doesn't even matter if they aren't! Whatever this feeds is going to sort it out anyway by means of an internal diode network/bridge.

Worry not.

Reply to
Glynn R.

Excellent, that's nice to hear. If you're curious, this feeds a heavy-duty stomp box that I plug my electric cello into. Normal audio signal goes in, totally weird-n-crazy audio comes out.

"Glynn R." wrote in news:1111445291.484409.218050 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
Geoff