30 pin simm 8 and 9 chip

Hi all,

I brought some 9chip 30 pin simms by mistake a long time ago, thewe are parity types, is it possible to convert them to the 8chip non-parity types with some mods or something ?

thanks chris

Reply to
exxos

Not easily. They are also rather obsolete, so I would just consign them to the trash can.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Well, if you need 30 pin "8 chip" ones (I presume he needs 8 bits) I guess he can just use the 9 chip 30 pin banks - the extra chip will simple not be used. Obsolete or not doesn't come into the equation.

A bigger point is the type - FP or EDO. This matters in some applications, though some FP apps take EDO (other way around is sometimes provided for compatibility).

So, for the OP: there is no need to convert, as long as the other specs are okay.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

It almost seemed like a gimmick. Not the parity, but when Macintoshes did not use parity, one could sort of mislead the buyer towards a more expensive (because it was less common) non-parity SIMM. I remember once I told someone who had posted in the local buy and sell newsgroup looking for "Mac memory" that any SIMMs would work, and he was quite pleasantly surprised to hear that.

The parity bit is of course just another bit of memory on the board, and if the thing it's plugged into doesn't make use of it, it can't tell whether or not there is parity on the SIMM.

Of course, if you do need parity, and the SIMM has none, that would cause a problem.

The one thing that might be an issue is the density of the RAM on the SIMM. I once got some RAM off a junk motherboard, and soldered them to some junk 256K SIMMs that someone had given me (taking off the RAM first), and thought I'd gotten cheap 1M SIMMs (at a time when they were still relatively expensive). I put them in my Mac Plus, and they worked fine. But when I left it without doing anything, it would crash when I moved the mouse. Reading up, it turned out that Mac could not use SIMMs with ICs that were four bits wide, but needed RAM that were 1 bit wide. It wasn't getting refreshed in the Mac, which explained why it worked so long as I kept doing things on the Mac, but bombed if I let it sit there for a while. But this issue would only come up in very specific cases.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black