Xilinx Impact in Linux 2.6.x

Have anyone got Impact working in Fedora Core 3? Or any similar Linux?

I have tried this:

but I probably get 1000 compile errors.

Is there any other possibilities for programming xilinx FPGA's? I have read about NAXJP but can't find any places to download it, I have tried

but can't find any links to click on to download it. I'm using a spartan

2E at the moment.

Why don't just Xilinx program against the parallelport in user-space (ppdev) Instead of having two drivers??

TEG

Reply to
Trond Egil Gran

I have an old RH8 based machine which I have connected to my device under development in the lab. I run impact in batch mode (even from home). This was an old celeron which I saved from the recycling bin.

I've made a prototype for an Ethernet-based programmer. I simply upload my embedded programming file using tftp hence no device driver is required, only a tftp client. Keep an eye

for progress information (I'm doing this on my spare time so I'm moving slowly).

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Try

XC2S should work too.

Or if Xilinx would publish an interface to adapt one's own Jtag interfaces...

Uwe Bonnes

Linux?

spartan

Check out XAPP058. It describes how to program the FPGA with a microcontroller. Should be simple to create a program to do this via the parallel port. There is a schematic for the cable on the Xilinx web site.

I have not used the method in XAPP058, but have loaded a Spartan 3 by using slave serial and a microcontroller. It really works well. It is convenient too since the microcontroller has ethernet.

Darrell Harmon

dlharmon

Does the Platform USB cable help? $149 ;-(

Symon

Holy cow.

Exact same price as the "coming soon" Spartan 3E starter kit, which also has an FPGA (xc3s500e), 32MB of DDR SDRAM, flash, Ethernet PHY, USB 2.0 (Cypress EZ-USB FX2 I hope), etc. I'm assuming it will come with Impact drivers to use the FX2 to drive the JTAG chain, and/or use serial slave mode, and hopefully an appnote on writing your own download sequence into your FX2 firmware. Then again the Xilinx page lists the good old parallel JTAG cable as coming with it. Just as long as they hook up enough pins to let the USB controller config the FPGA, I'll be happy.

Reply to
Erik Walthinsen

Erik, where are the links for this starter kit please.

Reply to
dave

I thought it did not work on Linux, specially on my non supported FC3 platform ....

rudi ============================================================= Rudolf Usselmann, ASICS World Services,

Your Partner for IP Cores, Design, Verification and Synthesis

Reply to
Rudolf Usselmann

No that did not work, it does read IDCODES form the system and does have some XC2S devices in it's device list but it seems as the program does not suppurt them. As can be seen from these lines in the source code:

if(strncmp("XC3S",dd,4)==0) programXC3S(jtag,io,file); else if(strncmp("XCF",dd,3)==0) programXCF(jtag,io,file); else{ fprintf(stderr,"Sorry, cannot program '%s', a later release may be able to.\n",dd); return; }

TEG

Reply to
Trond Egil Gran

Ahh I actually got it working, I just added:

else if(strncmp("XC2S",dd,4)==0) programXC3S(jtag,io,file);

after the line:

if(strncmp("XC3S",dd,4)==0) programXC3S(jtag,io,file);

And now it seems to work. I also added the device ID for my XC2S100E and 18V01 to the the devlist.txt file.

Thanks for the tip about this program!

This is good now I just need one OS and one computer and no WMvare.

TEG

Reply to
Trond Egil Gran

Have you tried this:

http://www.xil> Have anyone got Impact working in Fedora Core 3? Or any similar Linux?

--

     *CAUTION:* Shameless self-promotion follows...
Reply to

Yes, that just works for 2.4 kernels.

It's no longer a problem since I use XC3SPROG instead, and then I don't need to mess with a bunch of kernel modules.

TEG

Neil Glenn Jacobs> Have you tried this:

Trond Egil Gran

On the Spartan-3E page, click on "Spartan-3E Starter Kit":

The page says it won't be available until Q3, so that could be anywhere form 5 weeks to 4 months from now.

Reply to
Erik Walthinsen