XAUI - INTERNAL LOOPBACK SETUP - DRP (DYNAMIC RECONFIGURATION PORT)

I am trying to enable an internal loopback in a xaui core (near-end PMA loopback) and would like your suggestions on that. I read about the loopback modes in UG196 and found that the DRP's need to be modified in order to enable the internal loopback. The chapter on loopback mentions that the drp address 26[6:3] needs to be set to '1111'. I tried to set the daddr port to this value, but the internal loopback does not occur. Also, there is an MDIO interface in the core and I have read that the loopback mode can be enabled through this. Could you please throw some light on how I can go about setting-up the internal loopback please?

Thanks in advance, Chethan

Reply to
explore

Chetan,

What device family? V2P, V4, or V5?

Also, there is a serial loopback, and a parallel loopback. And, if that is not enough, are we talking near end, or far end which is looping back?

Generally, a parallel or digital loopback checks the function and the logic (step one of any testing). Then a near end serial loopback will check the analog side. Often the serial loopback must have a good transmit termination, as reflections may cause errors. In this sense, looping back with nothing connected may fail due to reflections (get out the scope). Following that, looping back the far end on its parallel side will successfully check the analog and digital of the near end, and the analog looped back at the far end. Then the only thing not checked is synchronization (far end clock vs near end clock). For testing the clocking, you need a mode at the far end to use either the local clock, or to re-use the received clock. If you use the far end local clock, then you also need a loopback at the far end after the receive FIFO, before the transmit FIFO so that all of the design is tested.]

Loopback testing can be a major task:

Austin

Reply to
austin

Hello Austin, Thanks for responding.

This is for a Virtex 5 LX110t device on a Avnet PCIE board AES-XLX- V5LXT-PCIE110-G. I am trying a near-end PMA serial-loopback just because the xaui core came with this default setting. For now I have been following the instructions provided in UG196 about loopback modes (chapter 9 in UG 196). Mainly, my task here is to control the loopback externally (through the device driver). The verilog code that controls the loopback as it came with xaui v7.2 is as follows.

assign loopback_int = mgt_loopback ? 3'b010 : 3'b000;

mgt_loopback is an output from the xaui core (the 'blackbox'). The near-end PMA loopback("010") is enabled if mgt_loopback is high. The mgt_loopback can be set high through the DRP or the MDIO interface as suggested in the user-guides (UG196 and UG150). My issue specifically is to know how these DRP ports can be configured in order to setup an internal loopback and control it through my device driver.

I would be happy to know your suggestions on this.

Thanks, Chethan

Reply to
explore

Chetan,