www.fpga-faq.com

Hello,

have problem to access following web site:

Know that it worked in the past, now following error occures (using IE 6.0):

HTTP-Fehler 403 - Verboten Internet Explorer

When using Mozilla 1.41 on MS or Linux machine we get following message:

Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Access to all other web-sites we tested was OK, no such message in any way.

Does

still exist? Has anybody (had) the same problems? Any turn-around?

with best regards,

Peter Seng

############################# SENG digitale Systeme GmbH Im Bruckwasen 35 D 73037 Göppingen Germany tel +7161-75245 fax +7161-72965 eMail snipped-for-privacy@seng.de net

Peter Seng

Hello Peter,

I have no problem accessing this site (IE 6.0).

greetings, Kay

"Peter Seng" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:brsfs5$8ag$ snipped-for-privacy@online.de...

6.0):

way.

Reply to
Kay Schubert

Same error here (IE 6.0 + all patches, working from home):

-- HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden

Possibly someone applied 'optimum security' to their www directory tree :(

I would try to contact the webmaster at fpga-faq.com....

Regards,

MaEs

Reply to
MaEs

It works for me, using Netscape 7.1.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Email: aqzf13@dsl.pipex.com

Hello Peter and others,

The problem with

is ME. I am the owner and webmaster and maintainer for this site.

I am sorry to say it has nothing to do with which browser you are using, it is my lack of experience in handling web access abuse.

Currently I am implementing some fairly draconian access controls on the site due to my lack of experience in doing it more nicely.

A little history: I created this site a few years ago and have maintained it and paid for it with my own money. As you know, it is vendor neutral, and has no advertising, popups or other trash. Sort of a charity project.

In October and November 2003, someone using 2 IP addresses attacked the site and in a matter of 1 or 2 days, early in both months, managed to use more than the total bandwidth allowance for the whole months (20 GB per month) This lead to some very high excess bandwidth charges, that were about

10 times my monthly costs. (normal bandwidth for a whole month is about 10 to 12 GB)

While researching the problem, I found that there were multiple other webcrawler type accesses that were not comming from known search engines. Google, Inkotomi, Yahoo, Altavista, AskJeeves together represent about 97% of all referrer traffic. In particular, some of these crawlers are deliberately masking their identity.

Most of this high bandwidth traffic is coming through DHCP IP management, and so the IP address changes within various blocks.

I have now started blocking IP addresses, and you have been unfortunately caught up in this.

Although I have enabled the IP address that you used earlier today, I believe your IP is dynamic, and so this may not have helped you. (your IP was 80.145.86.184, gatewayed through online.de)

If there is someone who is very knowledgeable about Apache web servers, the .htaccess files, and the rewriting rules creation, I would appreciate some help.

My other alternative would be to use a service with higher bandwidth limits, but to support that I would have to have advertising or some other way to fund the change.

I am glad that this was a service that was useful for you, and really sorry it isn't working for you currently. I am actively trying to find a solution to this problem.

========

Separately, for those of you still using the Xilinx gateway to this news group, could you please change over to using the Google Groups gateway. Both are free, but the Xilinx one is still turning nice text posts into HTML, which then wastes a few hours of my time each month cleaning up the mess.

All the best for the Holliday Season!

=================== Philip Freidin snipped-for-privacy@fliptronics.com Host for

Philip Freidin

Hmmm indeed. There was certainly 'a global lurch' in internet miss-use/bandwidth around this timeframe. It is still having effects.

Not sure if the cause is/was a)- Bored teenagers b)- Cynical ISP's wanting to bump customers into higher $$ zones c)- Geo political infrastructure attacks

or some combination there-of...

I'd suggest you send a copy of this issue to both Altera, and Xilinx, with a request for suggestions/assistance. They should view

as an important infrastructure to the FPGA industry generally, and one that can actually reduce their own support bandwidth (in personnel terms). If such a community-interest web site can save both companies even one support person each, there is good scope for some support...

Examples of how they could help, would be to sponsor the bandwidth, or provide a physical host node under your admin, or....

It is appreciated.

Merry Xmas.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

"Philip Freidin" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

site

What about setting a user name and a password for those IP you are blocking.

I would think this would block all attacks but those directly addressed to your site. Of course, I am no expert so I may be just saying the obvious.

By the way, you are blocking my IP also. :-(

Best Regards

Josep Duran

Reply to
Josep Duran

6.0):

site

month)

Hello Philip,

thanks for answer. I´m not experienced in Web-Hosting too, hope there´ll be a solution in future... Good idea to make the web-page available and just block the archive.

Merry Christmass And A Happy New Year!