Advice for a Beginner?

I'm looking for advice and resources to help me learn about hardware design and FPGAs. So far I've done tons of googling, and I've found tons of information about microcontrollers and things like that, but in another newsgroup thread[1] it was suggested that an FPGA might be a better solution for my current goal project: An nes-level gaming 'console'. This is just something I think would be interesting to do, and I realize it won't be the first thing I complete, which is why I'm asking for help getting started with the first steps of thousands that will lead to it's completion.

Since I've been doing CS for most of my life(as a hobby, though I'm now working on a CS degree) and I've only recently taken an interest in EE as a hobby, I don't know much at all about electronics or the like. From suggestions in another newsgroup thread[1], I've been reading the recommended books and learning the basic theory and practice, but I think I'm ready to start working on more advanced things as well. I'm also being exposed to VHDL in a Digital Logic(aka boolean algebra) class required for my degree. Really, the class doesn't cover VHDL, but it is covered in the book we're using so I've been learning it during class when I read the book and ignore the incomprehensible professor.

I'm looking for a good starter kit for FPGAs. So far, Xilinx's Spartan-3 starter kit seems to be the least expensive kit that includes everything needed to get started. Like I said, I'm still learning electronics, so designing my own board is most likely out my reach at the moment, and I'm a college student so as the cliche goes I don't have tons of money to spend on hobbies.

Any suggestions for books, sites to read, FPGA starter kits, etc would be greatly appreciated.

[1] =

PS: If you reply via electronic mail, include "comp.arch.fpga" (with or without the quotes) in the subject or it will get filtered to the trash.

Reply to
Extrarius

have several interesting links. Try also
for some tutorials on ISE, EDK and other tools.

alnz.

Reply to
alonzo

not a beginneers project though

they make the spartan3 starter kit for xilinx and have other boards and addon modules including usb, ethernet etc

have a few boards for sale and good tutorials.

sells boards

as do

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Hi,

You might find my website interesting:

I should point out that this is not sponsored or endorsed by my employer and the contents of it are entirely my own opinion.

I've got a number of links to people doing the same kind of stuff -- there are a surprisingly large number of people interested in these kinds of projects.

If you are looking for a good starter kit, the Spartan3 starter kit is an undeniably good value. There are fancier boards around, which are also attractive, but more expensive. It depends on your budget.

Have fun, Eric

Reply to
Eric Crabill

Hello,

Shure You will find something of interest on our link-list at:

with best regards,

Peter Seng

############################# SENG digitale Systeme GmbH Im Bruckwasen 35 D 73037 Goeppingen Germany tel +7161-75245 fax +7161-72965 eMail snipped-for-privacy@seng.de net

Peter Seng

Thanks for all the great links and info everybody! I really appreciate it. If you have any more, feel free to share =-)

-Extrarius

Reply to
Extrarius